Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-977984/)

trebex May 15th, 2013 06:26 AM

Grand Cayman

My trip to Peru next week has been cancelled on account of an injury that will make hiking and climbing impossible. So now I am searching for a last minute destination where I can sit back and relax for a few days.

My two questions about Grand Cayman:

Are there places where I can find good local food without spending too much or is it all tourist restaurants?

And

Is there public transport available to get around the island so I can avoid renting a car or high priced taxis?

Bassguy66 May 15th, 2013 07:00 AM

For the most part, everything is expensive on GC, especially the food & drinks. Can you find meals that are less expensive?...yes...they are there.

I believe that have small vans that run up & down the main drag that are pretty cheap. We rented a car, so I never rode in the vans, but have been told they are there.

sharona May 15th, 2013 11:01 AM

If you are staying in a condo, of which there are many for rent, you can take advantage of the large, modern grocery store right across from Seven Mile Beach and have a few meals in. As Bassguy66 says, Grand Cayman is expensive but there are a few reasonably priced restaurants, one of which is Eats Cafe, located across from the Westin. We only ate breakfast there but it was good, diner-type food and it won't break the bank.

amer_can May 15th, 2013 12:47 PM

7 Mile Beach is the only place to stay IMO!!! Cayman dollar is $1.25 US I believe.. Local food used to be readily available ie, patties, heavy cake, turtle burgers/stew, conch..but most of this has gone from the scene. Much the pity!! Lots of Italian, gourmet and expensive dishes, fast food and all pretty dear, Westin has/had a good buffet breakfast a couple of years ago and of course delicatesons/groc.take aways abound. You can do it economically and still have an exceptional beach experience, just takes a little effort. GC is great for a restful time..

GeorgeR May 15th, 2013 05:02 PM

There are many condos in the Seven Mile Beach area which can be rented at reasonable rates given that it is the off season. Hotels are also reasonably priced. Check VRBO for properties, most of them good quality. Public buses, really vans, run from Georgetown to Seven Mile Beach and West Bay and other areas. The buses cost US$2.50 per trip. Cayman does not have restaurants like Peru where you can get a meal for $5. However, there are many lower price restaurants such as Heritage Kitchen, Tim-Buc Tuu, Chicken-Chicken, Welly's Cool Spot, Chester's Fish Fry and others where you can get a filling Caribbean meals for about $15. If you want cheaper meals, you can go to the buffets at the local supermarket and do take-out.