Grand and Little Cayman Islands- drinking water, taxi, tipping, etc.,

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a tap water safe to drink (or at least to brush our teeth) on these two islands? As a visitor to Cayman Islands did you drink a tap water or rather bought a bottled water? We always, for example, drink water in Paris but had problems with water in Costa Rica. This is our first trip to Cayman Islands.

We'll be staying in Courtyard hotel on 7 Mile Beach. Our flight to Little Cayman departs at 9 am. What time do you think should we arrive in the airport for this domestic flight and what time should we leave from Courtyard? Our flight to Little Cayman is on Tuesday.

Are taxis plentiful in the airport? From reading many posts here we understand we can pay US$. Or did you pay with a local currency? How much should we expect to pay? Plus tip? How much?

If you stayed recently in Courtyard where did you get a taxi for your trip to the airport? Did you book it in advance? Is there anything like a car service on Grand Cayman?

Is tipping mandatory for everything? How much did you tip snorkeling operators, guides, maids, etc.,?

Our flight from Grand Cayman to Houston on Continental departs at 4:15 pm on Saturday. What time do you think we should arrive in the airport? I know Continental says at least two hours but every airport is different.
Thank you for your help
Pat
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Tap water is fine to drink - their water is all de-sal. Some people don't care for the taste of the water but I thought it tasted fine.

Your departure flight is right at the rush hour along 7 Mile Beach. I'd ask at the hotel what they would suggest as to departure times. They can also call a taxi for you. They'll accept US dollars but remember that one US dollar equals 80 cents Cayman. Rates are regulated and tippings is like anyplace else - always welcome and accepted.

As to departure time to return home - I'd do the two hours. Their lines are incredibly slow at both the ticket counter and going thru security. Why have to stress at the last minute?
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

joanie433, this is very helpful. I appreciate your response to my questions