Gran Lido Negril v. Sandals Negril

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Lisa

Gran Lido Negril v. Sandals Negril

I'm considering these two properties for a honeymoon in July. We are in our late 20's and looking for something with good watersports, dining, and nightly entertainment. How do these properties compare?

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Sue

Lisa

I have only been to GL Negril...but I offer these learnings.
If you like really good food and wine, keep your expectations low. While it is (as I'm told) better than many all-inclusives, the food really is just OK. The wine is awful, so bring your own (I seldom drink hard liquor, but did because I couldn't stomach the wine.)
You will probably be limited to one night at Piacere (something they don't tell you in the brochure) but it isn't all that great anyhow.

The drive from Montego Bay takes an hour + and it is not a relaxing ride...it's not a problem (we always find the drivers to be friendly and professional)just expect it. If you've never been to Jamaica, expect that the airport processes will NOT go well. Take carry-on only if you can and be patient.
The scuba instructors are wonderful-try if you've never done it! All of the watersports are right there!
As for nightlife, there is a disco (we went only once) and a karaoke bar (heard that was fun)
We discovered clothing optional bathing on that trip and it's great! Most of us were 30's and 40's but there are many honeymooners on the other side of the property.

Lastly, we have been to GL Braco and it is much nicer. While the beach is larger at Negril, the accomodations, pools, and even food & service were much better there! (The Japanese restaurant actually has very good sushi, but, again bring your own wine!)

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 12:43 PM
S.M. BODOR

Lisa,
Sorry, I don't agree with the previous respondent... I think the GL is fabulous! I have been to Jamaica around 20 times and about four of those trips I have spent all or part of the vacation at the GL. I have found the food and wines to be wonderful. Even though I run into alot of people on these trips(and trips to other places) that complain about the quality of the food, I have very rarely met anyone who has lost major weight due to fasting! I think the best thing you can remember is that you are in a foreign country and the food will be different to what you are used to at home.Between the Sandals property and GL there is no comparison... The Lidos beach is by far superior. It is located on a piece of land called Bloody Bay and it is stunning! The only complaint I have about the GL was the check-in procedure. Actually, every resort that I have been to in Jamaica has the same ineptness when it comes to this. I think the problem is that I am over-anxious to start my holiday when I get there! Especially after the long ride from Mo Bay. It is true the ride is bumpy and rough but it is also a great way to see how the Jamaicans live. If that is of no interest to you then you can fly from Mo. Bay into Negril. It costs extra but sometimes it is worth it. Having said all that, I have stayed at Beaches Negril(a family resort), another Sandals resort and absolutely love it! I think whichever place you choose will be great. They are both owned & operated by 2 of the leaders in the all inclusive vacation sector. But I would recommend the Grand Lido for your honeymoon and later if you have a family stay at Beaches Negril, down the beach. Good Luck. ( P.S. The clothing optional beach is great and super relaxing at the GL. There is no beach like this at the Sandals resort. )

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Kim

Hi! I have never been to GL but have been to Sandals Negril. I loved Sandals Negril and would highly recomend it, the beach you can walk for miles on and the staff is great. I have had many friends go to GL and Sandals and they tell me for the price Sandals is a better deal.
I know GL is much more fancy if thats what you are looking for, but if its relaxing and collecting your thoughts and piece of mind you cant beat Sandals Negril.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 12:36 PM
Jerry

We have stayed at a number of all-inclusive resorts and just recently at the Grand Lido Negril. We found the food, service, and the resort to be tops. We were able to reserve the specialty restaurant 3 times during our week's stay, and found it to be excellent. We ate 2 nights at their other ala carte restaurant and were pleased in every way. The checkin service must have changed since the above posting, because when we got there we did not actually check in ourselves. While we were drinking champagne, the concierge was getting our keys, and gave us a tour of the resort while he took us to our room. We did not spend extra for this service. In fact, we were on a Superclub Supersurprise package for 799.00 per person. The service never changed all week. Bloody Bay is beautiful. The pool is pretty standard stuff compared to what other newer resorts are building. Grand Lido Negril is 10 years old this year. All rooms are being retiled and hot tubs are being installed in every room. Another note about the service; my wife experienced a health problem during dinner at the French Restaurant, and the staff was more than accommodating. There is a doctor on the grounds, and she was checked up on throughout the rest of the stay. The age group of vacationers spanned the limits in this adults only resort. A good mix. I would highly recommend this resort.