Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   PR or USVI (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/google-page-ranking-or-usvi-1282415/)

aimers1976 Apr 22nd, 2017 04:45 PM

PR or USVI

My husband and I are planning a trip the first week of July and although I have done some research I am still undecided. Puerto Rico or one of the US Virgin Islands?
We are early 40's and we have 6 kids. We will be taking a much needed week long vacation WITHOUT kids.
We really want nice beaches, sunshine and relaxation.
We aren't into the night life scene; so we don't need that.
We would love to do water sports; renting jet ski's, or parasailing etc.
Shopping is a plus.

Any suggestions would be great. I am really overwhelmed with all of the options

Odin Apr 23rd, 2017 02:12 AM

I've been to PR twice and didn't like it, on that basis, I would go USVI even though I have never been. There are such good reviews on St John. I was disappointed with the beaches, the rainforest (Luquillo and El Yunque), probably because I have seen better elsewhere in the Caribbean.

blamona Apr 23rd, 2017 04:18 AM

USVI is amazing, especially ST John. As for shopping, you can ferry and explore St Thomas from there, there's small "tropical" shopping on St John.

You can also day trip to stunning Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, others

Awesome destination

brennynp Apr 23rd, 2017 07:00 AM

Go to St John. No jet skis or parasailing tho. The beaches are beautiful.

suze Apr 23rd, 2017 07:56 AM

Have been following photos on FB of a friend doing 10 days in Puerto Rico. Looks like they had a blast and there was some stunningly gorgeous scenery, botanical gardens, historic ruins, etc. I don't know any details but was definitely a trip I would love to take myself.

I was on St Thomas one night beginning and end, when we ferried over to St John & camped in a tent for a week at Cinnamon Bay many moons ago. It was fun but no place I felt compelled to return to.

But St John is very beautiful so I think either could work for what you seek.

Do you plan to rent a vehicle?

genio67 Apr 24th, 2017 06:56 PM

I love San Juan and we go annually for a long weekend for a break without our kids. However, we like the nightlife, the amazing restaurants, ambiance of Old San Juan and the wonderful hospitality of the Puerto Rican people. However, if the beach and water were my main reason for going, then I would consider Vieques or Culebra and not San Juan. If you decide to go to PR, then that is probably where you would want to be (except no shopping but maybe do one night in San Juan at the end of the trip and stay in Old San Juan).

tom42 Apr 25th, 2017 12:03 PM

<<However, we like the nightlife, the amazing restaurants, ambiance of Old San Juan and the wonderful hospitality of the Puerto Rican people.>>

We go every year too and that's why - decent beach plus all the things you mentioned. It's perfect for us.

Bassguy66 Apr 26th, 2017 09:26 AM

"Go to St John. No jet skis or parasailing tho. The beaches are beautiful."

This is not true. I have no idea about Jet Skis, but we went parasailing twice out of Cruz Bay in St John.

I agree about the beaches, some of the best I've seen.

tom42 Apr 26th, 2017 11:08 AM

We took the catamaran at the Ritz Carlton, St. Thomas to Cruz Bay St. John. We liked it quite a lot.

brennynp Apr 26th, 2017 12:37 PM

<This is not true. I have no idea about Jet Skis, but we went parasailing twice out of Cruz Bay in St John.>

I learn something new everyday. Do you recall who operates the parasailing?

Amanda_B Apr 27th, 2017 05:31 AM

I would say both St. John and Puerto Rico have unique qualities! If you look into Puerto Rico I would stay in the Rio Grande area which is by the rainforest. I would also make sure to experience the Bioluminescent Bay and if you can get over to the Island of Culebra as the beaches there are STUNNING!

Happy Travels!

eastenderusvi Apr 27th, 2017 01:56 PM

The time around July 3-4 is festival in St John- very busy and noisy but can be fun. I think the USVI beaches are nicer than those in PR, but I love the food and architecture of Old San Juan. ;-)

Bassguy66 Apr 28th, 2017 05:38 AM

"I learn something new everyday. Do you recall who operates the parasailing?"

Sorry Brenny, it's been a few years, so I don't remember the name of the charter. We stayed at Gallows Point, and pretty sure we hooked up with them through a recommendation from Gallows. They picked us up off the smaller dock to the right of the ferry dock.

brennynp Apr 28th, 2017 09:14 AM

Bassguy66, thanks for your reply.

jlub May 1st, 2017 01:15 PM

Have to add my 2c. You may feel it's worth much less, but ...
When I was in the Navy, many many moons ago, we used to fly to PR for "workups" for the aircraft carriers. In our off time, we could go to the beach and of course the base had its own private beach. Just have to say that the snorkeling was truly stunning and I've never been able to find anything approaching it. Not really relevant to your question, so like I said ....

finsterdog May 2nd, 2017 10:23 AM

I have been to the BVI --- Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Tortola and Anegada. (I loved Anegada, if you really like to be off of the grid).

However, the past five years I have been going to Culebra, which is politically part of Puerto Rico, but geologically, it is a virgin island.

Culebra and Vieques are called 'the Spanish Virgins'.

Culebra is low key, no traffic, no big hotels, most of the island and reefs are protected, and Flamenco Beach is one of the best I've seen out of 35 islands I've been to in the Caribbean and Pacific.

It's a 30 minute flight from San Juan, and no customs!

Check it out!.

Weadles May 14th, 2017 08:57 AM

We stayed in Rio Grande a few years ago and would not go back. Other than the amazing food shacks close to town, the hotels and beach were a total disappointment. Maybe things have changed, but if I were considering where to go, it would either be to Vieques, or to St. John.

tom42 May 19th, 2017 05:49 AM

<<the hotels and beach were a total disappointment>>

Would you mind describing in what way they were a total disappointment? And what hotel did you stay at? thanks

schmerl May 20th, 2017 05:09 AM

We love Puerto Rico. We usually stay in the Isla Verde area and stayed in the Loquillo area as well. There are definitely more restaurants in the Isla Verde area.
We are beach people and have always enjoyed the beaches in PR.
We have also driven around and visited different parts of PR and found the people to be so helpful and friendly. The driving, on the other hand, was quite an adventure!