Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Good snorkeling at Beaches Resort? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/good-snorkeling-at-beaches-resort-329413/)

tamraichle Jun 20th, 2003 07:12 AM

Good snorkeling at Beaches Resort?

My husband, 22mth old daughter and I will be at Beaches resort in Turks & Caicos for the first week of December. Wondering if there is good snorkeling right off their beach, or do we have to take a tour to snorkel? Also, any other good advice about the resort would be appreciated!

ellene Jun 20th, 2003 02:08 PM

Have been to this resort many times. There is a snorkel park about a 10 minute walk from the hotel that is great. There are hourly snorkel tours that depart from the hotel that are included in your room rate. There is snorkeling available right in front of the hotel, but it is best to walk down to the park in front of the Coral Gardens. The kids camp is fine, for that age group it is glorified baby sitting but the camp does have its own kiddie pool at the kids club. It is a really easy family vacation

tamraichle Jun 22nd, 2003 08:10 AM

Thanks so much for your tips! Is the hourly snorkel tour that's included, the same one that is a 10 minute walk from the beach, or is it farther away? If we did take a snorkel tour off the premises for a few hours, would we be safe leaving our 22 mth old at the kids klub? We are staying in the main building on the 2nd floor, how is that location? Any tips on which restaurants are the best or anything else you recommend?

diann Jun 22nd, 2003 08:33 AM

I have been there once and it seems to be a nice family resort. There is one restaurant that is adults only and you must make reservations. Make them the day you arrive. This would be a nice place you and your husband to dine one night without your child. I am sorry I can't remember the same but it is the only one that is adults only. There is a nice one, that is a circular and sit on the beach. I liked that one very much. I think it was yellow and white. )I do remember the color but that is about it. (Sorry.) The names escape me. We found the snorkeling right down the beach within walking distance of Beaches to be very good. I had Heard it was not as good as it was several years ago. My husband is a scuba diver so he did go scuba diving several times which was included in the price. Enjoy.

ellene Jun 22nd, 2003 05:40 PM

The snorkel trips go out to the reefs which are about 10 minutes by boat. They leave from the dock which is less than a 5 minute walk from the main building. The restaurant on the beach is Schooners and it is the only one that serves a la carte breakfast, as opposed to buffet. I agree it is the best of the lot. Airzonas has a good lunch buffet everyday. We usually leave the property once for a good meal(grace bay club or Coral gardens). All the restaurants are kid friendly, the Japanese steak house requires reservations, make them the first day the fill up. I have eaten as sapodillas and it was ok, not great.

Request a refirgerator for your room, they are not standard.

You will be fine leaving your child in kids club, my daughter was 6 months old the first time I left her, then 18 months, and most recently 2.5 years( We have been 4 times). They have a high staff/ child ratio.

oceanolympia Jun 22nd, 2003 05:48 PM

Hi. We went there last July. Don't take the snorkel tour. Walk 6 minutes (along the beach) to the coral reef in front of the Coral Gardens hotel. We did this 5 times during our stay. Just follow the people walking with the snorkels! This reef is free, & better than the paid excursions. Turtles, much marine life, right off shore (starts 10 feet from shore line). Walking along the beach is very safe, we did this several times. There is no marine life on the Beaches beach (even though it is very pretty, sofy powdery sand) & calm, warm waters.

tamraichle Jun 29th, 2003 12:41 PM

Thanks for all your help. To Ellene, you said your youngest used the kids klub. Did they have fun activities for children around 21 mths old? She won't be quite 2 yet, but she's pretty advanced for her age and I don't want her to be bored if they just sit around the nursery. As she will still be napping once a day, is there a place she could nap so we don't have to go back to our rooms?