Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Good Restaurants in St. John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/good-restaurants-in-st-john-304437/)

jennak Apr 7th, 2003 06:00 AM

Good Restaurants in St. John

Can anyone recommend a few really good restaurnats in St. John? I've read good, but somewhat mixed, reviews on Asolare, Chateauz Bordeaux and Pardisio.<BR><BR>Are there any lesser known gems? We love seafood - especially light, healthy, non-cream based dishes.<BR><BR>Any guidance you can povide is much appreciated!<BR><BR>Jenna

Kristy Apr 7th, 2003 07:08 AM

We loved Asolare. The views are beautiful...make sure you get an outside table at sunset. We went 3 years ago and I still remember the dessert, a warm chocolate pyramid that oozed melted chocalate. <BR><BR>Chateauz Bordeaux was a little dissapointing. It is a far drive, and we got there too late for sunset, so we didn't get to enjoy any of the panoramic views...which is what the place is all about. Nothing memorable.<BR><BR>Don't believe we went to Pardisio.<BR><BR>Lime Inn was fun with our group. It is a fairly popular place, remember waiting about an hour to get a large table. Cute shop right next door to pass the time!<BR><BR>We spent lots of Happy Hours at Woody's!<BR><BR>Hope this is helpful!

nancyspa Apr 7th, 2003 02:22 PM

we didn't go to asolare so can't comment. but we did go to paradiso... food was fantastic, service terrible. <BR><BR>by far and away our favorite meal (and it ranks up with our favorites of all time... this is saying alot b/c we eat at great restaurants tons) was at stone terrace... it was simply incredible in all ways. service was impeccable and the food was terrific. don't miss it! it flies under the radar and so many folks don't know what a wonderful place it is.

SusanLynne Apr 8th, 2003 09:33 AM

Even though you like seafood, I would suggest the Lime Inn in Cruz Bay if you are looking one night for a good steak place. The ambiance is nice (albeit it can be warm when crowded) and the service is good, but the steaks are the true stars of this place. We liked it so much we ended up eating their twice during our stay.<BR>

Maggy Apr 8th, 2003 11:15 AM

My favorite was the Lime Inn. The previous poster mentions their steaks but I had seafood both times and loved it. Their brownie dessert was out of this world! Great island atmosphere and casual setting. Also, try Zozos, for northern Italian.

Mike_B Apr 8th, 2003 02:03 PM

Apparently the owner of Paradiso, Chateaux Bordeaux and Asolare rotate the chefs. We had our absolutely best dinner at Asolare several years ago but only a so-so dinner the last time we were there. The view at sunset from Asolare is very nice. Paradiso has received many excellent reviews lately.<BR><BR>My favorite dinner spots are Stone Terrace and ZoZo's. ZoZos has moved to Gallows Point. <BR><BR>

Becca Apr 8th, 2003 02:19 PM

My answer is that it depends on where you are staying. My husband and I have been to St. John twice - once to Caneel Bay and once to the Westin. When we stayed at Caneel Bay, our favorite restaurant was Turtle Bay Estate House that is within the resort. It was absolutely fabulous. Because we were staying at Caneel and were on the meal plan, they were extremely accomdating. There was lobster tail on the menu, but we also wanted a filet mignon to go with it, so the waiter said that would not be a problem to have both even though filet mignon was not on the menu. The service was impeccable. HOWEVER, the next time we went to St. John and stayed at the Westin, we ventured over to Caneel to eat at Turtle Bay. This time, the food was just as good, but the service was terrible. On the reservations list, we saw where someone jotted down &quot;Westin&quot; beside our names, so we think this is why the service was bad, because everyone around us had great service. Needless to say, we got no lobster tail and filet mignon that night. Regardless, I would still recommend Turtle Bay to someone not staying at Caneel. Also, our second favorite restaurant is Asolare - the view, food, and service were great. We have eaten at Chateau Bordeaux, and the best part about it was the view. The service was good, but the food wasn't great. As far as inexpensive restaurants go, I would recommend Chilly Billy's for breakfast and Skinny Legs for lunch.

michelleNYC Apr 10th, 2003 09:25 AM

Another vote here for Stone Terrace. The seared tuna we had there was delicious!! Does anyone know when (if) they close for the season? Same for Asolare? We are returning to St. John in August but we are going one week later than we usually do (8/7).

michelleNYC Apr 11th, 2003 07:16 AM

Anyone?

dcgc Apr 11th, 2003 11:22 AM

We love St. John!! Asolare is so beautiful (the view is incredible and the food delicious) We also recommend Chateauz Bordeaux and Paridisio. All fine restaurants on an unforgettable island. Dinner with Andre is another recommended restaurant, but hard to get reservations. Some of the more less pricey places is Morgans Mango which is good food and fun. And chilly willy's has a great breakfast! Don't forget to pack alot of bug spray, the noseeums are really annoying.

Cyclone Apr 13th, 2003 11:12 AM

Asolare is our favorite of the 3 you mentioned. Great view! Gems?<BR>Unique: Vie's Chicken Shack, Skinny Legs and Miss Lucys.<BR>Seafood: Lime Inn and Fish Trap<BR>Other Favorites: Morgan Mangos.....also after a week of seafood, last time we went to Margaritas for Mexican and it was great

penny Apr 14th, 2003 04:40 AM

Asolare has excellent light Asian influenced dining. They have light healthy, non creamy dishes galor! The seared tuna is the best. Paradiso is great too, lots of seafood. Have not done Lime Inn or Fish Trap for a while<BR>but they have nice seafood. As far as Caneels Turtle Bay, I did not realize<BR>non guests could dine there. Its a lovely more formal setting, as for The Equator, the menu is very intersting,<BR>but I have never had a good meal there!<BR>Have not tried the Stone Terrace, but did like ZoZos-though not in the same<BR>league as Asolare!

sharona Apr 14th, 2003 04:56 AM

Well, here's a differing opinion on Asolare. I would not eat there again. I found the food mediocre at best and very expensive. Service was lousy and it took forever to get our food. My husband and I were in St. John in November and our favorite was ZoZo's with a close second by Stone Terrace.

sharona Apr 14th, 2003 05:09 AM

(Sorry, hit &quot;post&quot; too soon.)<BR><BR>For a less expensive option I would recommend Lime Inn. We enjoyed it very much. Paradiso we found pretty good, not a favorite but worthwhile. We stayed at Caneel Bay and ate at The Equator a couple of times, mostly because of convenience. The food was good and the service excellent. The food at Morgan's Mango was okay but the specialty drinks were great. <BR><BR>I think the only don't miss place is ZoZo's.

klqkauai Apr 17th, 2003 12:05 PM

Stone Terrace has become our fav STJ restaurant. We have had uneven experiences at Chateau Bordeaux as well as Zozo's and terrible food and service at Paradisio's but maybe it is time to try it again on our annual visit based upon other reviewers. Asolare has been underwhelming and probably the priciest of all restaurants mentioned. The seafood at Stone Terrace has been absolutely wonderful esp. as someone mentioned the tuna. There is also a fairly priced wine list and service has been impeccable. Enjoy!

Mariarosa Apr 18th, 2003 02:58 PM

My info is a little old (3 years) but our favorite places in order:<BR>1. Asolare - absolutely awesome<BR>2. Lime Inn - really good and very affordable<BR>3. Chateau Bordeaux - good, not as good as Asolare and it was the most expensive of the bunch<BR>4. Fish Trap<BR><BR>We did not eat at Paradiso's or Morgan Mango's so we cannot compare.