Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Good place to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/good-place-to-go-809161/)

Anguillagirl Oct 6th, 2009 10:04 AM

Good place to go?

Hi guys,
I am hoping to find some last minute deals in Late November/December to take kids on a trip to their first Caribbean trip. We usually woop it up as a couple and go to Anguilla for a week, but not this year with economy. Looking for something nice, but reasonably priced. I won't want to stay in somewhere yucky, but a place that has nice rooms and is in within walking distance of a great beach. Any suggestions? Ok, all Anguilla fans. I need your help on this one. I"d love to show those girls Anguilla since Mom and Dad have been repeat visitors for the past six years. I still don't know if we can swing it, but if someone has other ideas that might be similar, please share! Love the forum.

SAnParis2 Oct 6th, 2009 11:21 AM

How old are the children & from where are you coming ?

KVR Oct 6th, 2009 11:42 AM

What type of vacation are you wanting? I always find great deals in Nov/Dec for AI's in Mexico. We are returning again this year. This time to Cozumel.

kellybeaches Oct 6th, 2009 12:13 PM

Check out Cap Jaluca's deals right now-they're pretty sweet if you travel by December 09. Also, would you guys be open to renting a villa? They're usually less expensive than a hotel. Bliss villa on Anguilla was one we've been looking at for awhile now. I know you're not a big fan of St. Martin, but if you wanted to try it, you can get really nice villas there reasonably priced, check out the island, and do day trips to Anguilla. We're renting Happy Bay villa in May, which is on the north shore and in a very quiet neighborhood in walking distance to a white sand beach. good luck!

blamona Oct 7th, 2009 04:48 AM

Have you been to Turks and Caicos? All the places to stay are nice at all price points (check out Sands Resort, Villa Renaissance, Ocean Clubs, Royal West Indies for less expensive yet nice places to stay)

The beaches rival Anguilla, the island itself is a little more built up than Anguilla, but actually easier with kids.

DavidSXM Oct 7th, 2009 07:44 AM

Hi Anguillagirl. Try the FRENCH side of St Martin - instead of constantly 'knocking' the island.

I am sure that your kids would enjoy it more, as there is far more for them to do here than on sleepy Anguilla !!

jlbowers7100 Oct 7th, 2009 09:34 AM

Hey Anguillagirl,

Not sure what you think is yucky but we stayed at Shoal Bay Villas in Anguilla and you just couldn't beat that location. The staff was great, accomodations were adequate, it was very reasonably priced and the location was superb.

You would probably like the Turks & Caicos as well, as I found it very similar to Anguilla (though with a little less "Caribbean" vibe). Grace Bay is an amazing beach...I even liked it a little better than Shoal Bay (East). We stayed at Ocean Club West 3 times...again, it's not the poshest of places, but it's definitely not yucky. ;)

We're actually headed to St. John tomorrow (yay!)-totally different that Anguilla and T&C but great in its own way. Reasonably priced accomodations seem to be harder to come by though...

Good luck!!