Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Good place for honeymoon in Turks and Caicos or Barbados? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/good-place-for-honeymoon-in-turks-and-caicos-or-barbados-726636/)

gcpkstr06 Aug 5th, 2007 05:16 PM

Good place for honeymoon in Turks and Caicos or Barbados?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for mid-November and are considering both the Turks and Caicos and Barbados. We are looking primarily for nice beaches and possibly some nearby snorkeling and diving- we'd prefer a little more privacy to more "touristy" locations. We both like to sample local restaurants as well so all-inclusive places probably aren't the best option.

Can anyone recommend a good romantic resort (or villas) on one of these islands (most of the ones in Turks and Caicos appear to be on Providenciales, but we'd be interested in hearing about places on the other islands as well). Thanks!

turksoldtimer Aug 5th, 2007 05:43 PM

Have you looked into splitting your time in the Turks and Caicos? Spending some time on Parrot Cay at the Parrot Cay resort, and Maybe Point Grace, or The Somerset on Providenciales. Some people do this and they like the remoteness of Parrot Cay, and then having the options of a variety of fine restaurants on Provo

blamona Aug 6th, 2007 04:14 AM

I've been to about 75% of the Caribbean Islands, and it sounds like T&C is what you're looking for.

Great suggestions about splitting between Parrot Cay, and either Somerset or Point Grace, or Grace Bay Club. For more of a budget, check out Turks and Caicos Club too-excelent, quiet small boutique hotel. Even more budget? Try Royal West Indies.

The water are some of the prettiest in the world, the beaches some of the best in the world. Even access to off the beach snorkling in some areas.

Terrific restaurants that are ultra romantic mixed with local restaurants are avaliable.

Great excursions too-for example, catamaran sunset cruises, or beach drop-offs to secluded cays where they leave you with everything, food, drinks, umbrellas, lounge chairs-pretty much all to yourself. (and gorgeous strands of beaches may I add.)

Barbados is a big island, touristy, beaches are nice, but don't come close to the ones in T&C. No real snorkling there either.

diann24 Aug 6th, 2007 04:27 AM

T&C and Barabodos are very different indeed. T&C sounds like it may be what you are seeking. It is or was very quiet when we were there. Not much shopping but some nice restaurants and the water color is second to none. I liked Barbado's and the loud music, and the beaches were o.k. On your honeymoon Turks and Caicos would be correct. Also St. Johns might another considertaion. T&C is not a lush island it is dry. As I recall there was a lot of bramble bush and tumbleweed. Keep that in mind.

xkenx Aug 6th, 2007 05:42 AM

If you are looking to do some sightseeing and nitelife along with your relaxing, Barbados is a vibrant island, with lovely people and a wide range of beaches, hotels, restaurants, sightseeing. You can stay at a beachfront hotel with peace and quiet.
Barbados is a much more lush/green tropical-feeling island. Coral Reef Club is the class act there. Family-owned for over 50 years, beautiful lush grounds, plantation style cottages and low-rise bldgs. It is next door to an underwater park with diving and snorkeling. See www.coralreefbarbados.com

HowardC Aug 6th, 2007 12:57 PM

I would definitely go with Turks and Caicos. We have been there over 20 times and Barbados once. Found Barbados to be very touristy with cruise ship etc. Sommerset has a package on Luxurylink.com and believe Grace Bay Club and Turks and Caicos club do too. Do a HowardC search for some of my trip reports on Provo.

gcpkstr06 Aug 8th, 2007 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We'll definitely look very hard at Turks and Caicos.

cheryl2005 Oct 11th, 2007 08:00 AM

My husband and I honeymooned in Barbados in Oct 2005. It couldn't have been more perfect. We stayed at the Reeds House Villa. We had a perfect mix of fantastic dining, night life and beachin it. Reeds House was VERY private. We also found many snorkle excursions to take advantage of. Good Luck and congrats!

Lizzie518 Oct 12th, 2007 04:13 AM

My husband and I also honeymooned on Barbados in Sept/Oct 2003. We stayed at The House and were pleased with the accommodations and the island. If your budget isn't an issue, check out Sandy Lane. It's beautiful. I don't think it would disappoint.....the beach at that resort is quite nice. There is also quite a bit to do on the island as far as sightseeing. I didn't notice the cruise ships where we were staying. The snorkeling is not very good.

We went to T&C (Provo) in November of 2004. The beaches are indeed very nice. Some of the finest, whitest sand I have ever seen. I don't believe there is as much to do on T&C as there is in Barbados. And it was very windy when we were there. We were sandblasted off the beach on several days of our stay. It was also very difficult swimming....had to do the pool. The locals said that was quite common for November, although I don't know if others have experienced it regularly at that time of year.

Both places have excellent restaurants. Good luck. It's a tough decision.

virginia Oct 12th, 2007 07:28 AM

agree for snorkel/diving t&c is the place. also like oldtimers and blamonas resort suggestions. tS&c club has romantic location > fewer things near by. grace bay club is just plain romantic.
if you would like to consider a small villa look at coriander cottage: http://www.northshorevillas.com/
it may be booked by now, but if not it is a delightful house in a perfect. location - right off the beach from best provo snorkeling. see this trip report w/photos: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...Text=chasechow
for pics scroll way down to last attempt by chasechow to link to the pics.
another option from the same site would be 'the cottage' - not on grace bay beach but only 15 mins drive away. or look at www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com - a group of 3 houses w/common pool directly on gb beach. near small reef.

a good provo dive company is: http://www.provoturtledivers.com/
which you could walk to from coriander.

TobieT Oct 12th, 2007 06:17 PM

We've been to both the Barbados and T&C and can recommend each island....for different reasons.

T&C has snorkeling (daytrips out) and the beaches are gorgeous but we too found the water rough for swimming most days. We did love RWI but for a honeymoon there might be too many kids for the quiet and romance you'd like.

Barbados has more to see and do with fabulous restaurants and lush vegetation but is also much more developed. We've stayed at a timeshare there but friends loved Little Arches for romance and a "second" honeymoon. :)

https://www.littlearches.com