Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

"good" dining and some snorkeling in September????

Jul 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

HI All,

I have a week off in September and would really like to head south for some good food, warm water, and snorkeling. Good food doesn't necessarily mean expensive - it means fresh - local - hopefully fish. Convenient snorkeling - decent from shore (enough to paddle around for an hour or so) - with an excursion or two mixed in. We prefer smaller - boutique type places. A bit worried about the weather - but willing to risk it. Was thinking Aruba (Amsterdam Manor?) - maybe St Lucia (but concerned about being trapped a single place), maybe Anguilla? Antigua? Not really stuck on arid versus tropical if it meets the basic requirements.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Aruba is your best bet in October. I do love St Lucia, though, and for the life of me I can't understand why you would feel "trapped" in a single place. There are lots of places in and around Rodney Bay that are within walking, short taxi, or bus difference from restaurants and nightlife. But thus is the very height of hurricane season, so I'd go as far south as possible.
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Sorry ... For September.
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug - the "trapped" idea is largely because we generally stay at rather isolated spots - which we love - but there has been a time or two where the food in particular has been a major let down (not the local flavor that we are looking for) and it's just impractical to go anywhere other than the place we are staying. So that's when you start to feel like you are stuck with something that wasn't really what you were looking for. If you get what you want a single choice is just fine! (stayed at a play in Costa Rica with nothing around for miles - it was perfect - but it was exactly what we wanted).
I am leaning towards Aruba - just easy to get to - don't really have to worry about the weather - but somewhat hesitant just because of how built up it is. It isn't what we typically do - then again maybe it's good to experience something else.
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM
KVR

I think Amsterdam Manor is Aruba would be great. We loved Aruba. There are tons of really great restuarants in various prices ranges. We have the AM on our list for next trip. Not really great for shore snorkeling from the hotel, but go to Arashi Beach or Baby Beach, even De Palm Island and we found the snorkeling to be rather good.

We also loved the Island of St. Lucia. It's beautiful and lush and does remind me of pictures we have seen of Costa Rica, but the snorkeling there was not great. It was better for sightseeing purposes.