Reload this Page >

Good, Cheap Food in St. Thomas/St. John's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM
DG

Can you recommend a place with good food and Island atmosphere where the locals may frequent too?<BR><BR>I can eat at the 5 star restaurants back at home. I'm looking for restaurants with some Caribbean flavor.<BR><BR>Since I'm on vacation, the more informal, the better! The dress up clothes stay home!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Bob

I heard there are some great places in RedHook, but can't remember the names.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:50 PM
suggestions

Cuzzins which is just off Main Street in downtown Charlotte Amalie; Gladys Cafe for lunch also in downtown Charlotte Amalie.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM
GM

Re: St. Thomas -<BR><BR>2nd the motion on Gladys' Cafe...they have a different Carib. dish every day. What we really appreciated was that the cafe' inside w/AC was smoke free. Folks can go in the courtyard with the umbrellas and tables for smoking there. It's a storefront type place, but the food is great. When we were there, folks from the Gov't Bldgs. around the area were going there for take-out and eating in, also.<BR><BR>Blue Moon Cafe' near Red Hook is the best for dinner - the ambience is wonderful (right on the water), the food is GREAT (mostly Continental and American), and no need to dress up, but nice casual is good.<BR><BR>Have a GREAT time!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:35 PM
GM

P.S. re: The Blue Moon, it's not 'cheap' but well worth the money.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:14 PM
DJ

ST. JOHN<BR>Skinny Legs in Coral Bay- altho I was shocked to see they've sort of ruined the barebones atmosphere by adding little shops on to the place!<BR> In Cruz Bay: Cafe Roma has great pizza and Woody's, a little corner dive, is a great place to hang out and have a beer. There are two other &quot;hang outs&quot; where the locals gather. They are across from the National Park Dock; I can't remember the names. You'll recognize them as such, tho...Picnic tables...no frills. However, I must state that the restaurants in Cruz Bay are wonderful. We've been at The Lime Inn when they were bringing in huge fresh fish just off the fishing boat. All the restaurants are way low-key. T-shirts and shorts are a-ok (with a very few exceptions).

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM
connie

On St. Thomas, definitely the Toad and Tart Pub. We were just at Renaissance and went there for two awesome dinners. Great place, great home-cooked food.<BR>Service super, food out of this world, price way too low.<BR>Did Caribean Saloon in Red Hook, Molly Molone in Red Hook, not good to bad. Old Stone Farmhouse excellent but pricey.<BR>That was it for our dining experiences apart from hotel breakfasts.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:13 PM
DG

We'll check out these restaurants. Thanks for the advice!