Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Golf in the caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/golf-in-the-caribbean-811716/)

TPAYT Oct 25th, 2009 09:45 AM

Golf in the caribbean

What are your favorite islands for golf?

So far we've found that Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos is good golf, reasonable prices, and not far from Ocean Club West where we've stayed 2 years in a row.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. There are many courses on the islands but some of them are in the $200 range which is a little too steep. I believe the Provo Golf Club was in the $120 per day range for a several day package.

Also since I don't golf, we'd like it to be on or close to a good mid-price resort (around $250 a night). MDH goes out early and is back for lunch while I relax on the beach with a good book.

Right now we'll probably return to TCI, but we are always open to new suggestions.

blamona Oct 25th, 2009 11:21 AM

the best golf course in the Caribbean is Teeth of the Dog at Dominican Republic-you may want to check out Casa De Campo there for stays.

the golf course at Exumas is amazing, but Four Seasons shut down. It's being replaced with a Sandals all inclusive, so that may be a way to play it. You can also stay at Grand Isle to play it, but again expensive.

Bermuda has excellent courses.

Aruba has one, and your stay can be a little budget than the others mentions.

My husband played 1 of the courses on Paradise Island and wasn't impressed, but they've upgraded it since then. Michael Jordan seems to like it!

most of the course I've seen in Caribbean are on the expensive side, such as the one in Anguilla, and some in Barbados.

TPAYT Oct 25th, 2009 11:49 AM

Thanks, blamona.
Kind of what I thought. I believe Teeth of the Dog is pricy also. Besides we stayed at an AI in Punta Cana and all got sick so I doubt if we'd return.

Aruba is just too windy all the time, IMO. Bermuda may be better in the summer than March(sorry I didn't say when we were going).

The Exuma-Sandals thing sounds interesting, Anguilla was too pricy for golf also. Barbados was reasonable but far from the resort we stayed in---too much commuting time.

So far Provo Golf Club was the best deal, but March 2009 was very cool & windy there. I guess we'll try it again as March 2008 was beautiful weather, and so far that's been our favorite place.

Any other suggestions? We will keep searching.

Haven't been to Grand Cayman in about 10 years. Any idea of the golf costs there?

I don't mean to be so picky, but we've tried so many places that didn't work out for us, I thought maybe one of the Fodorites would have a good tip for a new place.

virginia Oct 25th, 2009 01:10 PM

on grand cayman: http://www.britannia-golf.com/ for $110/18 holes
the links at safe haven is same price
there is a new course at a new resort on the north sound called north sound club. i can't find their fees.

DavefromCA Oct 25th, 2009 05:15 PM

The golf course on Nevis is wonderful. I don't know if it's open since the 4S is still closed, but the price point was about $175. It would have been less if we had stayed at the 4S, but our hearts belongs to Montpelier. With a little corner for Nisbet!

eileen Oct 26th, 2009 08:55 AM

If you don't need world-class golf (with a world-class price) consider Antigua. My husband is an avid golfer so it's a requirement for all our beach vacations (much to my chagrin because there's some great islands that don't have golf!) He's played in Aruba, Nevis, Provo, St. Kitts, St. Croix, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerta Vallarta, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Acapulco, Jamaica, Curacao, Grand Cayman, and Antigua. Almost all those courses are pricey (over $100) with the exception of Antigua and Curacao. In Antigua, Cedar Valley is not an exceptional course but it's only about $50 and the beaches and resort we like there are wonderful (Galley Bay, great but not in your price range but I am sure there are other good choices). Curacao was also a good value (we stayed at the Marriott, most likely within your price range -- they have one golf course and a new one opening in the winter as part of the new Hyatt there) Dominican Republic and Barbados are also on the golf wish list but those courses are very pricey. I'm in the same boat as you -- husband goes out golfing and comes back to meet me for lunch -- I enjoy the time on the beach! Really wish Grenada had an 18-hole golf course, I am dying to go there.

TPAYT Oct 26th, 2009 09:21 AM

virginia----Grand Cayman sounds good. We were there pre-golf and enjoyed it. I really would have thought the Britania would have been more than that--thanks.

eileen----we've been to Antigua twice and it wasn't our favorite. Mexico and Jamaica are out of the question. Curaco sounds doable. I'll look into it. Over $100 is fine, it's the over $200 that are a bit much--thanks. I also enjoy my alone beach time and after golfing, MDH never complains about spending too much for dinner, which is the norm in the Caribbean.

eileen Oct 26th, 2009 12:24 PM

Know what you mean -- some of those courses are $250 - $300! Okay for once, but not for a round every day! Also wanted to mention, take a look at St. Kitts. The course there is very good and I think it was around $120, also you can take the ferry to Nevis and the course there is great. The Four Seasons is currently closed, but the course is open and I think they are offering greens fees for $100 It's usually $180 when the 4S is open) If you are interested in a great place to stay on Nevis -- check out Nisbet Plantation Beach Club.