Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Golf and Ganja (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/golf-and-ganja-497663/)

golfin Jan 23rd, 2005 09:33 AM

Golf and Ganja

My intention is not to offend anyone on this board but rather to obtain information. So, please, no flames.
A group of middle-aged, relatively quiet, no heavy drinking guys are planning a golf trip to the Montego area and want to relive (to at least a certain extent) our college days of the 70's. Does anyone have any experience with respect to the reaction of villa staff, caddies, or other golfers to ganja smoking? We're talking reasonable discretion -- in the villa and on the course -- not in restaurants or other "public" places? For example, if you were playing at Tryall and you looked over and saw a golfer smoking a giant spliff -- and, he wasn't holding up the round in any way -- would you care? We are looking at Tryall in particular but also Half Moon area.
Any and all input welcome
Thanks

PaulCR Jan 27th, 2005 08:59 AM

Golfin, my understanding is that ganja is illegal in Jamaica. OK enough about that. In my visits it has never been an issue. It's avaiable almost anywhere. But just as you would back home, use your discretion. I wouldn't suggest walking into a restauarnt with a lit joint. I'd even be careful while out in the open like on the beach. I can't say much about golfing etiquite, but I don't think anyone would really care if you lit up. On the other hand, it may affect your hand eye coordination and slow down you game and then the people behind you may get upset (LOL). Truthfully, ganja is a way of life in Jamaica and I wouldn't worry. Just one thing, bring a small scissor as it's so wet its hard to break up and roll. Who has to relive the 70's, I live it every day!!

mm Jan 27th, 2005 11:40 AM

hey golfin,

It will not be a problem on the course but save it while in the area of the clubhouse.

Your game will suffer but you'll really enjoy the walk!

Bring along water as you'll get very thirsty and booze will dry you out even more. Course a few cold Red Stripe's will be in order.

mm

tivertonhouse Jan 27th, 2005 12:47 PM

Plan on early in am as you can tee off times at Tryall or Half Moon. Nobody will look twice at your spliff -- but NEVER carry in car. Older women or more prim female staffers may tut-tut but not turn you in -- or they may just teach you to build better. Guys couldn't care less. Just be discreet.

tivertonhouse Jan 27th, 2005 10:56 PM

Tryall's course is #1, White Witch #1.5. And seriously, you'll play your best game/and avoid the heat if you
look at 8am tee-off times. Think Jamaican -- get up early. Half Moon is ok, further out of town. Ironshore and SuperClubs and Negril Hills are cheaper, less challenging. The old Brit style 9box course in Mandeville/The Manchester Country Club, gives you certain 'bragging rights' as it's the oldest golf course in the western hemisphere. Greens fees are steep at all (except Mandeville, only US$27 vs. US$175+ on the North Coast) -- UNLESS you're staying at the resort. Tryall would suit your group well. Go for a villa -- and then you can not vex yourself about anything but your handicap.