Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Golf and Dining in Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/golf-and-dining-in-bermuda-320957/)

LauraConn May 27th, 2003 06:29 AM

Golf and Dining in Bermuda

Will be going to Bermuda at end of June and would appreciate recommendations for golf courses, restaurants and other fun activities. We will be a group of 5 "forty-something" couples and will be staying at the Sonesta. We'd like a variety of dining options, from "that special place" to good, casual dining. Would also like to hear about golf courses near the Sonesta and other options (best way to get to those choices; transportation cost, etc.) Also, any thoughts on best way to get 10 people from the airport to the hotel? Is cab the only option? Any idea about cost?

Thanks for the help.

judofan1 May 27th, 2003 01:40 PM

Laura,

Port Royal and Riddel's Bay are near Sonesta. Both are fabulous. Riddel's bay plays on Hamilton Harbor and is beautiful. Words can't describe how great Port Royal is from a standpoint from beauty to the great test of golf that it is.

I highly recommend Fourways Inn for a special dinner. Piano playing softly in background and best bakery in BDA.

Some people may say Fourways is not the same anymore but I have been there 3 times since 8/2001 and they have never disappointed us.

One other must: Afternnon Tea at the Hamilton Princess is incredible! It is a very special treat.

One thing about Bermuda. They sometimes are more British than the British!

Have a great time.

Todd

LauraConn May 27th, 2003 03:07 PM

Todd ... Thanks for the input. Any other tips/suggestions you'd like to make for our trip?

penny May 28th, 2003 03:49 AM

Bermuda is one of my favorite islands.

Fourways use to be one of my favorites,
and now it is under new management/ownership, so I have no idea about its new menu. The piano player is wonderful, the setting is elegant. I must admit have not been there in a few years. So, now when we go this year I wll try it again! My favorite now is in Hamilton-dinig at The Waterloo House. If the weather permits, its lovley outside. It has a real Bermuda feel to it-very nice. We enjoy the dining room too.

Just read somewhere that Coconuts at The Reef-just up the road from Sonesta,
is now open for lunch and dinner, nice
spot.

The Lobster Pot in Hamilton is another
more causal spot, dine in the bar area,
better ambience, nice seafood, and many
Bermudians dine there.

Right accross from The Sonesta is Henry
VIII 's- the outdoor terrace is perfect for lunch, the view, and watching the mopeds go by. It has been a more touristy interior dining spot, but the Sunday brunch gets a large crowd.

loafskier May 28th, 2003 10:12 AM

I second the Waterloo House as a "special place", be sure to have a before or after dinner drink in the classic lounge (forget the name). The Swizzle Inn is great for lunch or a casual bite to eat anytime. NorthRock Brewing is a great place for lunch (maybe for a casual dinner too, but I didn't have dinner there). Rustico in Flatts is perfect for an in between place, somewhat casual, great food and decent prices.

Sorry, cannot help you with the golf. Have a great trip.

ParrotMom May 28th, 2003 12:31 PM

Try the site that the BOP's(Bermuda Obsessed People) hang around..lol http://server2.ezboard.com/bbermudashortsforum

judofan1 May 28th, 2003 04:52 PM

Laura:

Penny had mentioned new ownership at Fourways. Nothing to worry about. I have stayed at the cottages 3 times in past 18 months and it is better than ever.

Henry VIII is great choice as well. I stayed at Sonesta 8/2001. Do not dine in their restaurants. There are so many options you must try. You will pay $ but well worth it.

Taxi is best way to get to golf courses.
I highly recommend scooters. If you can ride them they will be least expensive way around. My wife and I rent a double scooter and we go all over. It is great fun.

Todd