Going to wedding in St John with child

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to wedding in St John with child

I have been invited to a wedding in St John (at Caneel bay). My wife, daughter (1.5 years old) and I plan on going for ~5 days.

We have 3 options of places to stay:

1. Get a great rate on a room at Caneel bay (~200/ night)

2. Stay in Bluerock villa (overlooks Cruz bay) for ~ $150/night. and share it with 2-3 other couples.

3. Try to find a place on our own that will allow toddlers to stay at their place.

My dilemma is that though Caneel bay sounds great and I would do it in a heartbeat without my daugher, I do not know how convenient it would be for a toddler who need food heaten up in a microwave or stove ~5 times a day. Also how to get to a washer or dryer on a resort. The villa does include these conveniences in their add.

ANY THOUGHTS????
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:12 PM

IMHO...your best choice woud be Bluerock Villa..i have stayed there..it has 4 bedrooms one of which is a suite/small living/kithchen combo and bedroom..ideal for you and the toddler. this villa has a deck/w railings across the front of it ,facing cruz bay and the pool area.this is in my memory a safe villa for children. it would also be nice for the two of you to have other adults around to socialize with..put baby to bed, sit on the deck / or in pool/with a glass of beer/wine etc. and relax, watching the lights in the harbor and beyond or view the sunset, with the "little" one just steps away!!(still might be good idea to bring a monitor)go for Bluerock you won't regret it!! oh, and i would add a car to your list, esp. staying in a villa. this way if you and yours need to exit sooner than others whatever you're doing on island it gives you the freedom to go/not depending on others or taxis.as you know having a baby makes you not a flexable as some. just a suggestion..enjoy the wedding and island !!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:03 AM

We have stayed with our infant and then our toddler at the Westin. The villa is definitely more convenient because of the kid. While Caneel offers plenty of space to play in, once the kid needs to go to sleep, then at least one of you is done. No more fun for mommy or daddy. Totally agree with Tess53 regarding the advantages of a villa. Also agree heartily with the car idea. You should find out if there is airconditioning at the villa. Those kiddies do not tolerate the tropical heat well, and you will be absolutely miserable if the kid is not comfortable.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Jacks,
Trust me...Tuxedo cat is right..if the baby is uncomfortable..you will be too!We went in June with our 2 year old and did not have AC in the whole villa and he was as grouchy as a grizzly bear.Find one that is FULLY air conditioned!