Quick/inexpensive getaway for July 4th

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick/inexpensive getaway for July 4th

Hello all! We'd like to take a 4-5 day getaway from NYC over July 4th weekend to celebrate my husband surviving his first year as a middle school teacher. Nearby driving destintations are an option, but I'd also like to look at the Caribbean. I'm hoping some of you can help steer me in the right direction...

We need an inexpensive flight ($200pp or less?), preferably on the shorter side, and would like nice weather. Beyond that, we're not picky- mainly we just need to relax.

Are there any Caribbean destinations worth considering at this time of year? We're pretty clueless, as neither of us have ever been, but we would like a change of pace.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

oops- just realized my flight cost above was a slip of the hand. Wishful thinking! We would like to keep the flight under $300pp though if we can.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM

For $300 roundtrip, you should focus on San Juan, Montego Bay and Nassau (with Nassau probably being the cheapest airfare because of its relative closeness to the US). Weather guarantees are impossible in July because you'll be going during the beginning of the hurricane season. But, that said, if the past is a guide, you're not likely to be hit by a hurricane in early July.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions! You're right, flights to the Bahamas do seem to be affordable. That's a great place to start!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda is another option we're considering. Fares are still relatively high right now- does anyone have opinions about whether this will drop closer to the summer?
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:37 AM

I doubt you'll find any airfare bargains to Bermuda for the July 4 weekend. Unlike the Caribbean, July is high season in Bermuda. And the July 4th weekend is probably the most popular weekend to visit Bermuda during the year.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM

We had to rearrange our travel dates because traveling over the 4th is considered a peak travel period. We also are leaving from JFK, see if you can extend it a bit so you do not fall on the holiday week- end. Try and get a direct flight so you have some extra time to enjoy. Check out Turks and Caicos.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM

You may want to wait a bit. Deals can usually be had once summer arrives.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice! We probably will wait, and perhaps even just go with whatever package deal we can find first. But just in case there is a fare sale I'd like to have some ideas in mind.

Interestingly, I've put in several combinations of dates and locations, and flying Friday - Tuesday over July 4th weekend has been cheapest (even though Tuesday is actually the 4th).