had a free day trip to Isla Majeres. We enjoyed the
day on the island. the children went swimming with
the dolphins on the island. What was enjoyable &
memorable. Some people from our day trip went
snorgling, but it was alittle windy. Good luck on
your vacation.

Old Nov 28th, 1996, 09:17 AM
Tim

Wow! Sorry about this but Isla Mujeres was a real disaster. We've been to Cancun six or eight times and day-tripped to the island once. As a day-trip on a sailboat, it's a good trip. Scuba or snorkeling are great but the island itself appeared to us to be especially poor, dirty, and the people not as nice as on the mainland. The costs of nbeing on the island are the same as the mainland but you have an adduitional hour boatride AFTER the mess of getting to the dock from the airport. All in all, our family love Cancun and recommend it highly. The beachfront hotels are wonderful. The Oasis has first floor rooms which are literally on the beach...great for the kids to play outside and the parentals to watch. Don't take any grief from the hotael staffs anywhere in Cancun. First, the ALL speak English so if they don't understand your complaint, they are not being straight. Second, they routinely change your reservations and don't give you beachfront when you have made that reservation or upper floor when you have reqyuested a lower one. Thirdly, we've been there often enough to be especially careful with credit card numbers. If you must leave a credit card number at the desk, remember to check you bill for unauthorized charges! It really happens frequently but the credit card ciompanies all know it a nd watch out for you! Take more than one credit card!
Now that I've painted such a gloomy picture, it need to say that the Cancun trips are some of our best vacations. Absolutely wonderful sunrises (we even set our alarm to get up at 5 to watch! Fantastic beaches and OK golf courses.
Have a good time.

Old Dec 9th, 1996, 03:39 PM
jane

I'm really replying to the message posted by Tim. I too am a huge fan of Cancun. We went 2 years ago and also stayed at the Oasis and had the time of our lives. After going to Los Cabos last year we can hardly wait to return to Cancun this year! Our trip isn't booked yet. We are still debating whether we should stay at the Oasis again or try a different hotel. As you have been there numerous times, I was wondering what you suggest. Oasis or.....? I'd greatly appreciate your (or anyone out there's) help!! As for Isal Mujeres, we did not go last trip but are planning a day trip there this year. I did not really realize you could stay there for a week. It's not in many trip books, in fact I do not remember ever seeing it. It seems small for a week. But it could be nice and quiet. Anyway you can do day trips to Cancun!!! Have fun and good luck.

Old Jan 6th, 1997, 09:21 AM
Bob

My wife and I have been to Isla Mujeres twice. Once for a one day visit in Feb.'94 while vacationing in Cancun, and returning for a five day stay in "Isla" in Nov.'95. We do quite a bit of travelling since I retired and frankly are budget conscious, but not of the "hostel" crowd.My wife is very concerned about cleanliness and had no problem with the hotel (Posada del Mar) and the restaurants in town and at the hotels on Playa Norte.

On our Last visit (Nov. 95) we checked out the rooms in the Na Balam and Cabanas Maria del Mar hotels and booked a stay for this month (Jan.97) at the Maria Cabanas del Mar.We like the Playa Norte as it is located close enough to town but off the beaten track of the excursion boats from Cancun. "Isla" is not Cancun"glitter".Inexpensive, in off-season, quiet in the evenings, and very busy in the day when the excursion boats arrive from Cancun.We really can't tell you much about night life but there were numerous places with entertainment.

A few restaurants we would recommend are: Zacil-Ha in the Na Balam Hotel (next door to the "Cabanas"), Cafecito (in town for breakfast),the Pinguino at the Posada del Mar Hotel on Rueda Medina, and Pizza Rolandi Ave. Hidalgo in town.I can't remember the name of the restaurant next to the "Cabanas" Hotel but I do remember a three course Carrib lobster-tail meal for two with a bottle of Mexican wine for $30-- that's for two!!

When you arive at the airport you can get a cab that will take you to Puerto Juarez to catch the ferry to "Isla". Be sure to check out several cabbies and make sure they see you doing so. Last time the cab ride cost us $20 U.S. but we had to do some bargaining.The ferrys run frequently during the day but do not run during evening hours so if you pay a visit to Cancun be sure to ask when the last ferry runs and be at the head of the line as it is possible that the boat will be quite crowded.

Shopping is not my area of expertise. However, we spent some time in Mexico City this past May, hired a cab to take us to several "silver factories" to shop for gifts. My wife commented that she had better prices in "Isla". Our suggestion is to compare prices especially if you are interested in silver and bargain!If you are really interested in shopping I would suggest a ferry ride back to Puerto Juarez,cab to the open air craft/flea market on Ave. Tulum in Cancun City.the prices are better than the more expensive malls along the hotel "strip".However, remember bargain!

You can hire motos and golf carts to tour the island,visit Garrafon Nat.Pk.(crowded),Playa Rancheros(crowded with excursion boats from Cancun),the Mayan ruins next to the lighthouse on the southern tip of the island and Mundaca's
Fortress.

Travel light,take advantage of a great exchange rate and the hospitality of the Mexican people. Good luck.

Old Jan 21st, 1997, 01:51 PM
Bob

I posted the previous message in reply to your inquiry about Isla Mujeres.My wife and I just returned from an nine day stay at the "Cabanas Maria del Mar" this past Sun. (1/19).
In addition to our last comments here are some updates:
1)Don't bring bath towels-for 100 peso deposit the hotel will give you one daily,
2)you'll be glad to hear that the exchange rate in Isla at the only bank (across the street from the ferry landing) was $1US=7.75 pesos.Chec their rate before going to the cambios,although the cambios were very close and open in the evenings. It was $1=7.86 in the banks in Cancun.
3)I made a mistake when I mentioned that you could bargain with cabbies at the airport (I was thinking about our trip to Mexico City last spring). It's a fee of $28 from the airport to Puero Juarez and you have to purchase the tickets in the airport at designated windows before you exit to the cab stand.
You could take the shuttle bus to Cancun Centro at $8 and then cab to Puerto Juarez.
4)however, when you return via the ferry to Puerto Juarez from Isla on your way home expect a hustler to be on the dock asking if you need a taxi. If you say yes he will carry your bags to a cab and expect a tip ( he also gets a commission from the cabbie). If you travel light (we only take carry-ons) carry your bags the 100 feet to the cab stand and negotiate your fare back to the airport. It cost us $20US.
5)The hotel was clean but "basic". Refrig, clean sheets daily maid service. Be advised to plan your showers in the evening. We discovered that AM showers required a distinct tolerance for cold water.
6)We suggest you try the following restaurants:
a)Rolandi's (in town)
b)El Balcon (across the st. from Rolandi's) we had four fish dinners all very good with reasonable prices
c) Bistro Franceis
d) El Sombrero
e) Cafecito
7) Happy hour at the beach is continuous from 12:noon to sunset--we enjoyed meeting poeple at the Zahil-Ha at the Na Balom Hotel bar next to our hotel
8) No doubt in my wife's opinion that the best place to buy silver was at Van Cleef and Arpel in town.
9) the moto and golf cart rentals at the hotel were as good as those downtown.
10)You can buy the Miami Herald in the hotel restaurant every morning from one of the kids for 10 pesos.

again good luck

Bob

Old Feb 23rd, 1997, 11:15 AM
P.Lawrence

My Husband and I are returning to Cancun once again this April...also staying at the Oasis. It's true about reserving beach front and upper rooms... the staff is not always accomodating in that manner but the benefits outnumber the disadvantages. The hotel is beautiful,pool is so large (with close to 1000 rooms) you still don't feel like you're on top of everyone, the beach is beautiful and clean, the restaurants on premises are tasty and not really expensive and it's a short trip into town. We'd recommend this hotel and location to all!!!

Old Apr 8th, 1997, 03:05 PM
Irene

We were just in Isla Mujeres Feb 97. We had a wonderful time overall although we did have a few disappointments. We are already planning our next trip to Cancun but we will stay in the mainland and just spend the days in the island.

The island's beaches were wonderful. The food was excellent and inexpensive. There is some small Palapas (beach side) to the left of the ferry dock that are wonderful and super cheap. I agree with the message that said lobster dinner for 2 for $30 and their lobster is great at least it was when we were there.

The hotel in the island was very disappointing. It was not kept up and we had to change rooms 4 times. The units were clean but just not kept up. From water on the floor from the roof leaking... to a broken shower door that let all the water travel into the bedrooms. Some of the rooms are also poorly designed. The pool and the beach were nice although there was quite a bit of seaweed in our beach.

The food at the hotel was good but not as good as the places in town. We stayed at ChrystalMar hotel and although most of the staff was friendly, there were a couple of people we had some problems with.

Make sure that you arrive at the port in time for the ferry and do not make prior arrangements with people from the island. We were taken advantage of and if it was not that I spoke fluent spanish we probably would have been into some trouble since we arrived late after the ferry the left the port and had arranged prior transportation which was a night mare. To make a long story short what showed up to pick us up at 10:00 pm was a small 15 foot outdoor motor fishing boat with no lights, no radio, no life preservers and 2 people soaking wet... They wanted $80 for 4 of us for the ride over when the ferries are only about $2 or so. We found someone else to take us for $70 and in a much nicer boat but we had a lot of problems with this so be wise and spend the money for a hotel in Cancun if you arrive past the ferry time..

Otherwise enjoy... We had a nice time overall and will be going back next year..

Old Apr 8th, 1997, 03:10 PM
Irene

I forgot to include that we did go to the ruins (Chichen Itza) and it was wonderful. We just hired a taxi driver. His name is Lorenzo and I will post another message with his phone number in case anyone is interested. Actually we hired him several times that we went into the mainland. He works during the day at the Taxi stand in Puerto Juarez. He was wonderful and it was nice not to be in a tour bus with a bunch of other people.

He was very reasonable and was very nice. He took us to a great bakery and for about a dollar we got a bunch of wonderful pastries. He also knew quite a bit about the place and where to go what to do etc. We ended up meeting his family whom were all wonderful.

I agree with the restaurants listed in the previous message. We ate at Pizza Rolandis several times and really liked it.

Old Aug 22nd, 1997, 10:08 AM
Dianne

Bob summed it all up below. I have been several times and last time stayed at Na Balam oceanfront top floor. It was wonderful. The staff was great. Playa El Norte is the greatest beach as Bob said. You do need to know some Spanish. Luckily last trip, my two traveling companions were blessed with Spanish as their first language so it made it easy. The hotel staff arranged for US100 (all of us total) a cab driver to pick all 3 of us up at 6 a.m. and take the vehicle ferry to the mainland and went to Chichen Itza since we had all been to Tulum. He waited for us and brought us back to the hotel door. Another day we took small boat to Isla Contoy, had lunch snorkeled on the way there and back. Returning to the airport is when you can barter with the taxi drivers but Bob is correct about leaving the airport. For a very inexpensive hotel a few blocks off the water Hotel Isleno. It was very clean. Each 3 rooms shares a hugh bathroom with two private toilet rooms and a large shower. We used that as a jumping off point on a backpacking trip down the Yucatan to Belize. The proprietor even let us store what we didn't want to take with us to Belize for no charge. It seems the rooms were around US20 per night when we converted from pesos. We walked the entire length of the island (5 miles) to El Garrafon. It was great walking through the little village about half way down. Isla Mujeres and Cancun are as different as Arnold Schwartzneger and Danny DiVito. A wonderful place. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 01:37 AM
Don Bell

I am planning a vacation to Cancun and Isla Mujeres in January 1999. I am planning to stay at Na Balam in Isla and Caesar Park in Cancun. Has anyone stayed at these properties and if so, do you have any comments? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Don Bell

Old Oct 9th, 1998, 05:55 AM
Lisa

<BR>Don: <BR> <BR>My family & I are staying at the Ceasar Park in Cancun this XMAS. Dont know too much aboout it but have heard good things. What have you heard? I'll let you know how it went for us.