Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Going to cayman Islands for 6 months.... I need your help please (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/going-to-cayman-islands-for-6-months-i-need-your-help-please-239790/)

Ginny Jul 15th, 2002 11:59 AM

Going to cayman Islands for 6 months.... I need your help please

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I are going to the Cayman's for 6 months. Neither of us have been there before. we need a "nice" condo near Georgetown. Any thoughts? Also does anyone know if there is a tennis club down there?<BR><BR>Your thoughts are much appreciated!

john Jul 15th, 2002 02:13 PM

There are many condos tp chose from. Most have tennis courts but not sure about tennis clubs, per se. <BR>Make sure you have obtained Short Term Residency from Immigration before you ge to the airport!!

anon Jul 15th, 2002 03:58 PM

If you are going to GC for 6 months, you need more than help, you'll need gobs of money.

bill Jul 16th, 2002 05:13 AM

Yes, you will need gobs of money because you won't be able to work with a Short Term Residency permit. But it sounds like they have it figured out.

Vicki Jul 16th, 2002 10:37 AM

I live in Grand Cayman.<BR><BR>There are some nice condos near George Town, but you'll pay for them. Depending on number of bedrooms and specific location, expect a price range of US$1300 and up per month. If you tell me what price range you're looking for, I can suggest some places and some ideas.<BR><BR>There is a tennis club here with a resident pro, if memory serves (I'm about as athletic as Liberace). It's well-established, and recently held a tournament with players such as Patrick McEnroe participating.<BR><BR>What the other writers say is true, though. I presume you have work permits or lots of money. Without a permit, you need solid proof that you have enough money to sustain yourself over that period of time without employment.<BR><BR>Any questions, feel free to write.

Ginny Jul 16th, 2002 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your valuble information.<BR><BR>Vicki... I wont be working but my husband will and yes he has a work permit. I would love so much if you could recommend a few places for us to live. We are looking to pay anywhere from $1500 - $2500 a month in rent (US)<BR>Vicki... do you work?<BR><BR>Thx Ginny<BR>

Vicki Jul 16th, 2002 12:02 PM

Oh yup, I work!<BR><BR>Hmmm... that's not a bad price range. It's a bit of a renter's market at the moment, so you may get lucky with a good deal.<BR><BR>Just a bit more information so I can narrow it down.<BR><BR>1. Do you have to be on the beach?<BR><BR>2. Would you prefer a one or two bedroom?<BR><BR>3. Around what time are you coming down here?<BR><BR>Just in case you're wondering, I'm not a real estate agent, I just know what it's like trying to sort out accommodation from overseas.

Ginny Jul 22nd, 2002 10:48 AM

Hi Vicki...<BR>We dont have to be on the beach but I like nice things... nothing run down :)<BR>2 bedroom for sure, and we will be there Sept 1st. I cant wait. I have read so many wonderful thnigs about Grand Cayman. PLus I love sushi I eat it every day for lunch and I was so happy to see that you have 3 sushi restaurants!!!!<BR>Thanks again! Maybe when we get there i can take you for lunch!<BR>Ginny

vicki Jul 22nd, 2002 10:48 PM

Hi Ginny,<BR>Okay, now I have something to work with. I'll check with the newspaper listings tomorrow and for the next week and see what's available. I'll get back to you on this website with some ideas, and let me know what you think. At the very least, I can probably get you some numbers to call.<BR>

cayman420 Jul 23rd, 2002 06:26 AM

Ginny,<BR><BR>I would suggest south sound or living in west bay. You will not want to be with all of the tourists on 7-mile beach for 6 months, believe me!<BR>Have a ball, grand cayman is wonderful!