Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Going to Barbados for 1st time-Need advice!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Lisa

Hey there, my husband and I are going to Barbados for the 1st time in a couple weeks and we would love some advice. Suggestions on restaurants, activities, shopping etc... would be greatly appreciated. We are staying at the Sandy Beach Island Resort on the South Coast (my husband loves to windsurf and I love to relax on the beach).

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:01 PM
philip

The Brown Sugar restaurant in Bridgetown is very good.<BR><BR>At some point, definately try flying fish. It is pretty prevalent in the local waters. <BR><BR>On Saturdays, there is a large outdoor market in downtown Bridgetown. But a fresh coconut and have them cut it for you.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Pete

We enjoyed the Saturday night "Fish Fry" at Oistins (right down the road from you). The absolute best day was a catamaran cruise up the coast (make reservations) - lunch, drinks, snorkeling, etc. We also enjoyed a ride on a local's Hobie Cat for an hour or so, he just pulled up on the beach and we sailed off w/him.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:35 AM
Sara

I plan to go to Barbados in March with my husband and 2 kids (12 & 14). How was Sandy Beach? Is it worth the extra $ to get the beachfront room? Did you see Bougainvillea? also thinking of staying there.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Karen

Anyone going to the west side of Barbados and want a wonderful dinner, go to Fathoms. It's about a half mile from Sandy Lane Hotel...that area.<BR><BR>Their lobster appetizer was out of this world. Try to get a table at the water's edge, heaven on earth!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Mark

Two things we found to be fun were Harrisons Cave and the Jeep Safari by Island Safaris. We also did some deep sea fishing and caught some Wahoo.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Angela

If you want to splash out and treat yourselves try The Cliffs restaurant - very expensive but worth every penny!!<BR><BR>Angela

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 04:35 AM
nmd

Carombola-right on the water and excellent food.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Pete

The Bougainvillea Beach Resort is on the South Coast and is the loveliest resort there! Excellent value for money, wonderfully spacious suites, terrific staff. We had the best holiday ever. The hotel is right on the beach and there is no extra charge for a seaview room.<BR><BR>Pete