Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Going to Bahamas with 2 year old and newborn - do they need passports?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we are headed to the Bahamas in December with a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. Will they need passports or are the original birth certificates enough? We're not planning any more international travel for awhile, so I'm trying to avoid the expense of passports if possible
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:56 AM

U.S. citizens under 16 do not need a passport. A valid (meaning state certified) birth certificate to prove citizenship is all that is needed.

Danny
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:54 AM

add one photo ID to the above mentioned raised seal birth certificate...and you have a match!

See if your local DMV issues photo ID's for non drivers...some do!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM

We are heading there in January and have been told by the state Dept that we will need passports for our 4 yr old and 8 month old to re-enter the US.

It might go into effect Jan 1 though.

But I am certain that birth certificates etc will not be enough in January.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM

Kilmer17, that is incorrect information. I just copied the below directly from the Department of State FAQ about the new initiative. It speaks for itself.

Danny

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
I thought there was an additional phase to be implemented on December 31, 2005. Is this a change?

In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, DOS and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. This change will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:38 PM

I'm not sure about the passport, but will both parents be traveling with the baby? If not, it is necessary to bring a notarized letter to the airport from the parent who isn't traveling authorizing the other parent to leave the country with the child. My friend was not allowed to leave the country with her 13-year old daughter last year because she didn't have a letter.