Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

going in march- Amsterdam Manor- need restaurant and sightsee ideas- MUST SEE things to do???

Search

going in march- Amsterdam Manor- need restaurant and sightsee ideas- MUST SEE things to do???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave in March for 6 days...what should we absolutely not miss!? And has anyone stayed at the Amsterdam Manor? We like the look of the beach area and low-key look...not into the highrise or having to wake at 6am to get a beach hut...what can you say about the place?
thanks for any help!!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to write ARUBA...that's the island we're visiting...
thanks again.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:56 AM

if you're looking for low key then Eagle Beach will be better for you than the high-rise area. Never stayed at the Manor, but the food was pretty good a few years ago. la Cabana nextdoor has good food. Across the street is the Hog Saloon and mini-golf. Must see is the Natural Bridge, Downtown is good for an afternoon if you like shoppiing or browsing. Plenty of water activites. www.aruba.com has great message boards
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:17 PM

never stayed at Amsterdam my do not miss list includes:

#1 Dinner at El Gaucho!!!! DO NOT MISS

Also, the Kukoo Kunuku party bus was a blast.

Happy Hour at Kokoa's to watch the sunset

Snorkel cruise with the Jolly Pirates

Rent a 4x4 and explore the rugged side of the island.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Have dinner at Madame Jeanettes, make a reservation and ask to sit outside as it gets hot and stuffy inside. Watch the sunset every evening!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM

My family stayed at the Amsterdam Manor last February. The hotel was a highlight of the trip. Although relatively small, it has everything you will need, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, the beach is great and the pool is nice. The rooms are relatively large (we had a very large 2 bedroom with a huge balcony overlooking the ocean), and the room had every convenience. Other members of my family stayed at the Marriott, more expensive, and we all much preferred the AM. It is filled mostly with Dutch and other Europeans and is low key. Free internet access, outside in the shade, is a real terrific idea and something you come to appreciate. You will have a great time there. The AM has a good bkfst buffet.