Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Girls Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/girls-trip-922953/)

mamamo Feb 6th, 2012 06:00 PM

Girls Trip

Planning a girls trip to celebrate 40th birthdays.
Going to Nevis later in the year with hubbie so looking for a different island.
Want a five star resort as we will probably spend most of our time there relaxing by the beach/pool, spa. May book a snorkle trip, or venture out one night for dinner, etc.
Since it will be all women want a safe island, surroundings, etc.
If you have any suggestions I would love them.
aruba
bahamas
bermuda
cayman
turks

qwovadis Feb 7th, 2012 02:46 AM

weather2travel.com Climate guides
For me in Storm season summer fall Aruba
Hyatt.com Palm/Eagle beach very nice less storm risk.
In winter atlantis.com or the One and Only Ocean Club
on Paradise Island. Have fun!

cmcfong Feb 7th, 2012 03:50 AM

If you are planning to go in the next couple of months, I would take Bermuda off the table. Its seasons tend to mirror the USA south and prime visiting time is May-October. If your trip would fall during those months, consider The Reefs, Cambridge Beaches, and Pompano Beach Club. check www.gotobermuda.com
Happy Birthday!

virginia Feb 7th, 2012 04:00 AM

provo in t&c would be perfect for you. numerous upscale resorts to choose from. very safe. excellent dining options. good snorkeling available from shore or excursion.

girlonthego Feb 7th, 2012 04:06 AM

The Atlantis would be a compound you can relax in. Watch the school breaks for kids though. It would have the beach, pool, dining and gambling. The rest of Nassau, I found very unappealing and not the safest.

Grand Cayman is a very safe and laid back island. The water is gorgeous, the food is good. Many choices of places to stay. The Ritz is high end, the Westin gets good reviews for a nice location, pool area. We stayed at the Marriott on points and it was a nice hotel, but small beach area. We walked many nights home from dinner down the beach.

I love Bermuda and riding the bus is the easy cheap and safe way to go around the island. I would taxi home from dinners though. The island itself is beautiful, one of our favorites. Food is good, but can be expensive. I have always found Bermuda to be very safe.

Aruba is a nice safe island with good food and some nice resort hotels. It is a great lounging island. I didn't enjoy touring around the island. We rented a jeep, (piece of junk) drove around the desert and decided the hotel areas are where we want to stay. On the plus side, it rarely rains. The water is very green and the sand is white. Great for the frozen drink on the beach kind of vacation. There is gambling too.
We stayed at the Marriott, again on points. Nice hotel and grounds, larger resort. We went once on spring break (easter time) and the beach area was packed. So, I would avoid the school vacations. The Hyatt and Radisson are very nice hotels and located more centrally for walking to restaurants. Cabs are easy and cheap to take to dinner.

All in all these are the ones we have been to your list. With each and every one of them, I would not walk down an alley alone at night, throw money around, etc..
Bermuda is the most beautiful, can be expensive.
Grand Cayman is laid back, good food, friendly people, quiet nightlife.
Aruba, more action, night life, not as expensive, good food.
Atlantis is a resort with gambling, food, and everything right there. It is tacky, it is vegas on the beach, but can be fun for along weekend. We enjoyed our long weekend there, but not a place I would run to often.

mamamo Feb 7th, 2012 09:36 AM

Thank you SO SO much for all of the info. I guess I should have mentioned we are looking at May either first weekend or Mem Day. Atlantis looks fun but I may save it to go with the kids. One and Only is SUPER expensive. Cayman Ritz has a pretty good rate. I am thinking May be iffy for Bermuda. I need to look into Aruba a bit more and flight options for all of these. Trying to use miles.

Really curious what are the good resorts in Turks for this sort of trip. I've heard about Parrot Cay (too remote) but not really familiar with the others in Turks.

Thanks so much.
MM

OceanBreeze1 Feb 7th, 2012 10:04 AM

Mama,
Another vote for Aruba for your Girls' Trip in May!

From where are you flyimg?

We have stayed at Aruba Marriott Hotel & Aruba Marriott Ocean Club(condos/timeshare property). Liked both.

Aruba Radisson looks nice too. Rad is located south of the Marriott properties on the same beach....Palm Beach. Have heard here on Fodor's that the Rad beach is not as crowded as Marriott. For me, that is a big plus. But, on the other hand, I do like having the extra space that a Marriott condo/timeshare provides...especially for a Girls' Trip....2 bathrooms or 4 if you get two 2BR villas!!! ((H))

Go to www.redweek.com
www.tug2.net
for timeshare rentals.

OceanBreeze

OceanBreeze1 Feb 7th, 2012 10:06 AM

Don't know how that weird face ended up in my post above...right after Aruba Marriott Ocean Club.....

kellybeaches Feb 7th, 2012 10:25 AM

Check out Grace Bay club on Provo. They have an adults only section and it's a gorgeous hotel. Great lounge area with infinity bar too :)

If I could throw one more suggestion out there for a girls trip, I'd also recommend St. Martin. Either Grand Case Beach Club or somewhere on Orient Bay. That's where I would go for a girls getaway! Lots of fabulous french food in Grand Case, fun on Pinel Island, the awesome swanky bar at Loterie Farm (reminds me of a Sex and the City type of bar), amazing beach bars on Orient bay, great shopping, day trip to Anguilla, and more. That would be my pick but I'm sure you can't go wrong in the islands ;) And Happy 40th!

SaraFmiami Feb 8th, 2012 09:29 AM

If you are looking to stay in the Bahamas then I would highly recommend staying at Old Bahama Bay. It is beautiful and very well kept. There are great restaurants at the resort and a gorgeous beach to lay out on, snorkel and sail. It is not an AI if that is what your looking for, but they do offer great specials online.
Turks and Caicos would be my other choice. I would highly recommend staying on Grace Bay. When I went I rented a Villa and stayed at the Alexandra Resort and Spa which is an all inclusive, with plenty of water sport activities, delicious restaurants and crystal clear water. You have to try the Mango Reef Restaurant, it is delicious!