Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Gift of Trip to Gr-parents: Safest Island??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:11 AM
Robin

The family is paying for a carib trip for grandparents for their anniversary. Which islands are the safest (for peace of mind for all)? They still get out and explore so they don't want to have to stay in the resort at all times. (And yes, I know that no area is 100% safe.)

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:57 AM
traveler

Hawaii

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:27 PM
Mary

The vast majority are "safe." Tell us what interests them and what they might like (e.g., great cuisine, shopping, scuba, snorkeling, rain forests, night life, seclusion, lush and tropical, dry and arrid) and maybe we / I can be of more help.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:31 PM
Mary

You might also want to mention where they will be flying from. BTW, what a nice thing to do for them, and a great idea too!!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:33 PM
Cheryl

If you are set on the Caribbean, I would recommend Grand Cayman ... very safe island with beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. Also very easy to travel to. There are many nice places on Seven Mile Beach ... For your grandparents, I would recommend The Westin ... a beautiful resort on a very nice stretch of Seven Mile Beach with a good location for activities, shopping and restaurants. <BR> <BR>You may also want to consider Bermuda ... very safe and nice, but has overall more to offer in terms of diversity of activities, along with beautiful beaches. A search on this forum under Bermuda would give you lots of information on accomodations ... we stayed at Cambridge Beaches (a cottage colony) and loved it. Other accomodations that people seem to like include The Reefs, Ariel Sands, Pompano, and Southhampton Princess. Each of these accomodations is a bit different. For your grandparents, you may want to consider the Southhamptom Princess which is a larger, more centrally located resort. <BR> <BR>Keep in mind the time of year if considering Bermuda, as it really is not "tropical" and does not get warm enough to swim in ocean until May/June ... however March/April probably nice for outdoor activities, but too cool for swimming.