Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   getting around St John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/getting-around-st-john-673620/)

tyedye33 Jan 25th, 2007 08:16 AM

getting around St John

I am looking for some Taxi vs. rental car advice for St John. I will be on St John at the end of February. I have rented a place on Fish Bay (about 3 miles from Cruz Bay). I am thinking that the way to go may be to rent a car for 2-3 days (to travel to the various beaches) and rely on taxis the other 4-5 days. My questions:
Does this approach make fiscal sense?
Can I call for a Taxi to come to where I am staying (i.e. how difficult will it be to get a taxi FROM Fish Bay?)
Any and all advice welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you,
Mary

e17345 Jan 25th, 2007 08:26 AM

I would suggest renting a car. We rented a car in St. Thomas, and you can just transport it to St. John via a boat that runs quite frequently.

Taxis are expensive, please you have to wait for them to pick you up, etc.

Having your car is the best way to see the island(s). Let me know if you have any questions. We spent a week there...

tyedye33 Jan 25th, 2007 08:52 AM

What rental agency did you rent from in St Thomas?

tpatricco Jan 25th, 2007 08:56 AM

You need a car rental on STJ. Taxis would be expensive and very inconvenient to get around with.

We've rented from Conrad Sutton and from Delbert Hill and been happy with both.

Unless you are bringing a great deal of supplies or perhaps have a small child with you, I would rent the vehicle on STJ not on STT. If you have any "issues" with the vehicle during your stay it will be much easier to address the situation with a rental agency on island instead of remote.

soggydollar Jan 25th, 2007 12:40 PM

tpat is right. You just do not want the hassle of getting the car on a barge then back.

You will want the freedom to beach-hop daily, not to cram them into 2-3 days. There are so many places to explore and there will be some you want to return to. All prices are the same for the rentals (last I knew anyway).

Have to put a plug in for Denzil Clyne. We have always used him STJ and Tortola. Great guy.
Have lots of fun!!!

marbleheadguy Jan 25th, 2007 02:41 PM

Most car rental company's wont let you take car to st thomas...from st john.

Rent St Thomas and take to st john...AVIS is best for this.

Before you go to st john--shop at Marina Market east end JUST BEFORE the car ferry dock...best prices for everything...except fish...buy your fish at the fishmarket in Cruz Bay at fishtrap restaurant...

Forget taxis on st john to fish bay...wont happen. Big $$. Only guy i know would even consider it is Earle Thomas. [email protected]

have fun!

Best rental is st john car rental
www.stjohncarrental.com

fish bay is a haul...you'll need a vehicle with 4 wheel drive...

MIM04 Jan 25th, 2007 03:39 PM

You definitely need to rent a car for your entire stay. Taxis are not a good option. Have a great trip. :)

marbleheadguy Jan 25th, 2007 04:16 PM

mim's right

tyedye33 Jan 26th, 2007 05:59 AM

Thank you all for your input it is definitely appreciated. I will be Renting a car and buying fresh fish (bonus recommendation)

ScottB Jan 26th, 2007 06:13 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the need for 4WD. The roads are steep, and can be extremely slippery when wet. You will definitely need a 4WD. Trust me!!

tpatricco Jan 26th, 2007 08:14 AM

Well, car rental agencies on STJ pretty much only rent 4WD. And yes, you will most likely need it.