Getaway suggestions a la Swept Away?

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Getaway suggestions a la Swept Away?

Are there any other Caribbean resorts that feel like Swept Away in Negril, which has great facilities and service but doesn't have a hotel/motel feel? We love the low-rise bungalows and breezy white rooms at SA and the way the whole resort feels a million miles away from everything, a true escape, yet with great sports facilities and wonderful food.

We need an alternative destination for travel during hurricane season. We've been to Aruba and love the island but aren't crazy about the hotel options there. The other requirement would be that it's not too hard to get to from the Northeast. We're considering Barbados. I know it gets hurricanes, but I thought maybe less than the central Caribbean islands? Your suggestions are welcome. By the way, we're a couple, no kids.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I love CSA and would love to find another resort as nice. I have been to most islands in the Caribbean and have stayed at resorts in all price ranges but have not found another that compares in terms of the accomodations and sports facilities. Plus the perfect beach!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Giving this question one more shot . . .
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:43 PM

We like Swept Away as well, and it holds a special place in our hearts, since it was our very first Caribbean distination. We've now been all over the islands, and one good suggestion is Harbor Village in Bonaire. It is a nice, roomy resort with a great beach, wonderful snorkeling, and a lot to do. And, like Aruba, it doesn't get hurricanes. Unlike SA, it is not All-Inclusive, but you can get pretty much the same kind of thing by buying their meal package.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Harbour Village is a great suggestion and now we're seriously looking into it for next September. Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Friends of mine who really liked Swept Away - as do I - went to Ladera on St. Lucia and also loved it. The two resorts are different but they found a similar feel at Ladera. Ladera is pricier and has a spa but not the sports facilities. Plenty of hiking though.