Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   GC Condo rentals, which reservation web site to use? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/gc-condo-rentals-which-reservation-web-site-to-use-347902/)

Robin Aug 14th, 2003 05:05 AM

GC Condo rentals, which reservation web site to use?

I was just wondering if there are any other good web sites to make reservations for a condo on seven mile beach in Grand Cayman?? I have been using caymanvacations.com and it is great, wonderful pictures of many condos along the beach. Are they any others anyone knows of other than expedia.com? Or is caymanvacations the best to use?

Kristen Aug 14th, 2003 05:19 AM

I have found that you can get the best deal most of the time by calling the condo directly.

Also, you may want to check out travelocity or USAirways vacations if need air and accomodations...

Where are you planning to stay?

Robin Aug 14th, 2003 06:34 AM

Thanks Kristen! We still haven't made a reservation, just looking at our options right now and planning to make a reservation in the next day or two. So far we like Plantana, Avalon (all booked up for our dates), Discovery Point Club (heard the beach is rocky there), really just something nice and clean (the newer the better though). We are looking at the quieter North end of SMB from Plantana up and plan on renting a car. Looking for the nicest beach area I guess. Any suggestions?

Kristen Aug 14th, 2003 07:19 AM

I am booked right now at Villas of the Galleon...my only hesitation there is the Ritz construction. But I have been told that if we stay on the north section we shouldn't even notice it.

But other condos I was/am considering up North are Plantana, London House and Aqua Bay Club and Christopher Columbus. Would love to stay at Avalon but we don't need a 3 BR. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Aqua Bay. And have also heard may good things about London House. London House is offering 2 fee nights when you stay 5 and 1 free night when you stay 4. That is though Dec 14 I believe. Chris Columbus is offering a similar deal as well. So is VOG but I think that is a little further south than you want to go...but it is supposed to be on the best stretch of 7MB.

If you are willing to go to North Central/Central 7MB, another good choice (comparable to the Avalon I think) is the Coralstone Club.

I am having a heck of a time deciding where to stay!!

When are you going?

Robin Aug 14th, 2003 08:36 AM

Kristen, we were originally planning November 24-30 but having trouble getting the return flight for the 30th. We are using USAirway award tickets as my husband flies weekly as part of his job so we always fly for free. The down side is getting the dates you want. Right now we have on hold fro one week, 4 tickets for Nov. 27-Dec.3, 2003. Now I need to get the condo reservation done so we can confirm the airline flights. What a mess, lol!! We wanted a 3 bedroom and now that are dates have changed slightly I'm looking into Avalon, Plantana, Discovery Point Club (looks very nice but worried about rocks), CoralStone was booked for our dates, VOG looks very nice also. I think I worry to much...I have spent many hours the last few days trying to put this trip together. How about you? Avalon would be my first choice. We do like nice accommodations and tend to spend more on vacation places because of flying for free. We went to DisneyWorld in May and stayed in two connecting rooms (we have 2 teens sons) at the Yacht Club on site. It was wonderful!! But at this point I really just want a 3 bedroom condo on the beach as long as it's nice and clean and not too old.

Kristen Aug 14th, 2003 09:09 AM

We will just miss you! We are going Dec 4 - 11. I have spent soooo much time trying to plan this trip. A little more than usual I guess because it's our wedding/honeymoon but I did the same thing when we went to Aruba last year!!

For this trip I would like to be within walking distance of restaurants and shops etc if possible, must be on a great beach, good snorkling close by. And I really want a relatively new, tasfefully decorated condo with good access to the beach.

But all my efforts paid off when we went to Aruba...great resort, great beach, restaurants, activities etc...

I got a lot of info from these boards. I learned that if everyone has positive comments, you're in good shape!

We are heading to Disney next year with my fiance's 2 children....hopefully I'll have enough FF miles racked up by then. That's how we got our airfare to GC, thank goodness. USAirways too.

Let me know where you decide to stay!

cayman420 Aug 14th, 2003 11:39 AM

www.caymanvillas.com

TomCayman Sep 18th, 2003 08:35 PM

I too would suggest you scout around for recommendations on bulletin boards then call the properties direct (hopefully mine will be one on your shortlist :)), but if you are looking for individual properties, you can't do better than www.caymanvillas.com as the ladies there will help you choose between lots of individual condos to suit your needs.

If you are dead set on 7MB, my personal favourite is Sundowner, they don't have a pool but the beach is gorgeous and if you can get a two storey townhouse with the upper deck to BBQ on, it is awesome....Cayman Villas has some condos at Sundowner.

Oh, and I'm sure others have mentioned Cayman Vacations....they also have a wide range.

Robin Sep 19th, 2003 04:06 AM

Thanks Tom! We are pretty set on SMB, what do you think of Plantana? How is the beachfront there? I made reservations through Cayman Vacations as Ian was able to get us a "A" oceanfront 2 bedroom condo for our dates. I tried to go through Plantana directly several times but they didn't have an oceanfront available for our dates. I tried several different ways to make reservations and Cayman Vacations came up with oceanfront locations at a few of my choices. I hope it was a good one! Sundowner looks very nice, looking into it today. Is this a better location then Plantana?

TomCayman Sep 19th, 2003 05:22 AM

Plantana does seem to get consistently good review.

Ian at Cayman Vacations does a good job, as he has shown in your case.

As to Sundowner vs Plantana, I just happen to like the unique floor plan of the townhouses, with a huge deck on the third floor....but Plantana is closer to the action, has a pool etc...

Robin Sep 19th, 2003 05:40 AM

I was truly considering the quieter north end of SMB and still thinking about it but as time goes by it may get a bit tougher to get a better location for the end of November. Especially the weekend after Thanksgiving as this holiday in the US is a time the kids are out of school for a few days. My husband and I will be traveling with our two teenage sons, ages 17 and 14, and thought the location would be good as they could walk up the beach to the Westin and maybe do some of the watersport/rental activities there (Redsail). I didn't want to stay anywhere near the Ritz or Meridian construction, who needs that while trying to relax on the beach. We rented a car though Budget at the airport so I guess staying at Plantana or Sundowner would make no difference. I just took a look at "The Reef Resort" website and it looks wonderful Tom. Where exactly are you located?

TomCayman Sep 19th, 2003 08:25 AM

The Reef is not on Seven Mile Beach, we are 45 minutes the other side of the airport...so if you are set on 7MB we won't be right for you.

On the other hand (and I am simply giving you what is a genuine deal here), we are running a limited time offer for a 2BD condo for a 1BD price right now, as we are opening 14 new 2BD condos in early October and that is a lot of new rooms to add in the off season, so we want them filled....suffice to say that deal won't last forever....and it may be attractive to you (or other readers)

As regards getting decent rates for the week after Thanskgiving, I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to the rates you can get on 7MB right now, the condos are getting quite aggressive in their pricing :)