Gay Nassau Bahamas??

Jun 15th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Andre

Gay Nassau Bahamas??

I am a gay male late 20's going to Nassau. Is there anything gay there? Gay restaurants, bars, clubs or whatever. Bigots need not respond. If you are gay and have been how was it?

Jun 15th, 2002, 02:04 PM
nongay

"is there anything gay there"?
Yea, a few "things" gay there.They won't keep-em out.

Jun 15th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Robert

I must warn you that the Health and Agricultural Ministers warn of an epidemic of Aids hitting Nassau. It is much higher than most other places, and has been declared a national emergency, especially among the youth. I don't know what the local Bahamians believe about gayness, but they are very religious, to a fundamental extent. Be careful. Robert

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Nick

Thank goodness there are still a few sane places left in the world.

Jun 16th, 2002, 04:04 PM
tia maria

Although the bahamas is indeed a christian country and abhors any deviant behaviour,(gay, nudity, etc) there are a couple of clubs that cater to gays. Endangered Species is one of them.
HOWEVER, open gayness is not accepted by the government or the bahamian community, and there is quite a lot of fighting, gay bashing, and some bloodshed from the locals at these clubs. Go at your own risk, but the locals take pleasure in the name of the club, (endangered species) and would like to make it so.

Jun 17th, 2002, 07:36 AM
BEEN THERE

Andre.Enjoy yoursele! Don't listen to the drama posted here. Endangered Species, Pams Car Parlor, the Drop Off Bahama Boom and a few other spots are all operated in an orderly manner. And to the poster commenting about AIDS, its everywhere and believe it or not,,so -called Straight people have AIDS too so take that BS somewhere else!!!!

Jun 17th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Robert

Regarding the post above, I have written the post about AIDS to single women as well who want to go to Nassau and boogie. You force me to be specific.
Over 4% of the population of the Bahamas is living with HIV/AIDS—the second highest prevalence rate in the Caribbean. There were 500 AIDS-related deaths in 1999, and approximately 1,000 children in the Bahamas have lost one or both parents to AIDS. AIDS is the leading cause of death for men and women between the ages of 15 and 44, especially around Nassau. True, "straight" people have AIDS, too, and I have posted this message to straight women or men who want to boogie in Nassau. HIV transmission in the Bahamas is mostly heterosexual. But, cocaine and crack run in epidemic proportions among Bahamians, and 43% of crack-cocaine users there are HIV positive, due to its impact on their sexual libido and decision-making. Unfortunately, the Bahamas has become, once again, a major gateway of drugs into the U.S. More and more teens in Nassau are getting HIV positive diagnosis, and community leaders and parents, along with parishoners, are getting upset. From the Prime Minister on down to Perry Gomez, Director of the Bahamas National AIDS Program, a crackdown is possible. I am not a bigot nor do I put out BS. I'm just telling you to be careful with your sexual exploits, just as I advised straight men and women who want to get drunk and boogie in Nassau to be careful as well. Robert

Jun 20th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Me

Robert, thanks for your reply, I am sure the person who ask the question is interested in know ALL the facts. All, just remember AIDS Kills and a little education goes a long way. Thanks again Robert.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:14 PM
horny gay boy

Endangered Species is the only gay club there. It is about 4 miles west of Cable Beach in the Super Value shopping center that also has a Pizza Hut. It opens at 11pm but not crowded til around 2. It closes at 4am. It's a very local crowd, mostly Bahamians (black). Ask the Taxi driver to take to you the SuperValue shopping center on West Bay. The govt here is very gay friendly and progressive but the religious folks here are very homophobic. It is a good time though.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Harper

I was in Nassau a few years ago with a group of very close friends. A couple of girlfriends and one guy. We are all married but have known each other since before any of us had even met our spouses.

One day we were riding the bus, when we passed the Rainbow Club. I asked the girl who was sitting behind the driver,collecting money, if it was a gay bar. I thought she was going to have a heart attack. She told me that homosexuality was illegal in the Bahamas and I had better be quiet.

Later that evening we met "a girl, her boyfreind and her brother". After a few hours at the roulette table she told us that the other guy was really her brother's boyfriend. They also thought that it was illegal to be gay in Nassau and were quite concerned, enough to be putting on a show.

A few nights later we went out partying and wound up at the Zoo. We girls were all dancing together and flashing our tits and such. (Hey, life is short) There were a few provocative pictures taken (by the one guy, who of course kept egging us on).

Anyway, we got the pictures developed at the Marriott, where we were staying. They sent the pictures back but all of the ones with us exposed and being provacative were not only not developed, they blacked out the negatives!!!

We were laughing so hard, and to this day remember the time we almost got thrown into "Lesbian Lockdown" in the Bahamas.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:48 PM
sandy

Laws against homosexual activity aren't limited to the Bahamas. Several US states still have laws forbidding "aberrent sexual behavior", including gay sex.

Jun 24th, 2002, 03:48 PM
simi

Does anyone remember which Island/cruiseline was not allowed to disembark due to a group of gay passengers onboard? Was this in Nassau? or somewhere else? Anyone remember this incident?

Jun 24th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Daniel Williams

That's the Cayman Islands you're thinking of, Simi.

There was an incident in the Bahamas where a cruise line catering to the Gay/Lesbian community was docking in Nassau and a group of "concerned" Bahamian citizens was reportedly unwelcoming, chanting with placards. The Bahamian government however distanced itself from this incident, with Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham penning an apologetic letter saying all visitors regardless of sexual orientation were welcome in the Bahamas.