Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Gallows Point or St John Inn...which is closer walking to Cruz Bay??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering Gallows Point or St John Inn for our next trip to St John.Anyone been to either or both of these??If so, which is more convient walking distance to Cruz Bay??Does anyone prefer one over the other..if so..why?Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Christie, surely you knew I would answer this one. I would definitely go for Gallows Point if I were you. Gallows Point is perhaps a tadbit closer to walk as well. I'm not sure about the "convenience" of the walk per se, but I don't think you'll care for the St. John Inn. The St. John Inn is located on a little offstreet on the way out of town heading towards the Westin. It's okay, but kind of like a motor inn in feel and looks. It has a "pool" that would remind you of something you'd pick up at Toys-R-Us for your 2 year old. The only thing I liked about it was it has a "honor" bar where you can pour your own drinks and after a few, you might not mind the pool or the astroturf courtyard area. Gallows Point is more upscale and kind of like a Floridian apartment complex sitting on the bluff at the entrance to Cruz Bay's harbor. It has great views, a pool more suitable for adults and you have real kitchens to work with. I would definitely opt for Gallows Point. Trust me on this one, the two are not in the same league.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Gallows Point does not accept children under 5 and they do not recommend children under 12.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

tuxedocat:
Thanks...I figured Gallows point would be better.Again thanks.

scarboroughmom:
T
I am glad that they do not accept kids under
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

OOPs .
Scar:
I was trying to say that I am glad that they do not accept under 5 being that this vacation will be kidless.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Tuxedo:
LOL...you are funny talkin about the honor system and not minding the pool after a few drinks.BTW..how is the house coming along?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Christie, the house is coming along very slowly. It is a very convoluted permit process, and if you mess up any little part anywhere along the road, you have to start that part all over again. Anyways, my husband says we will bop down there sometime in the next two months and push it towards the finish line. The guesthouse was built first, now we're building the big house. Hubbie seems to think it can be finished late winter/early spring. Doesn't he know folks down there run on island time? Thanks for asking.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Yeah really "Island time" seems to be everywhere there.You are very fortunate to be building a home on St John...maybe oneday we will too!!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Gallows point is better than St. John Inn. Check out www.mahoganytreevillas.com They are just up the hill past Gallows. Only 3 units and they have a pool and honor bar. I have stayed there and loved it.