Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

FS Maui or FS Nevis, I can't decide, have not been to Either.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Author: clear
Date: 08/17/2005, 12:19 pm
I cannot decide whether to go to Nevis or Maui. Never been either island. Live in Dallas, therefore, maui would be an easier flight. However, I heard wonderful things about Nevis too. We like good food, relaxing, somewhat sight seeing, sceneary & the beach. Which Island do you think we should chose? Thank you.

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:24 PM
iw

Wow, tough question. I have not stayed at the FS, but I have been to both islands. They are both beautiful. In Maui there are many sights to see and day trips to take. Nevis is small, but there are also many beautiful sights. St. Kitts is an easy 45min. ferry away for a great day trip. The flight time or cost may help you decide. My answer is wishy-washy because both places are great, in their own way, and have very different feels to them.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I have been to Kauai but not Maui.We live on the East Coast so it's a long flight for us.Have not been to Nevis either but here that it is nice.

If I lived closer to the Hawaiian Islands..Maui it would be.There is nothing like that Aloha Spirit. Kauai was the most beautiful island that I have been to yet.We have been to Aruba,St John and Kauai.

How many days do you have?Depending on that..I would probably go to Maui if it's for 1 week or less.That way you have less time in the air.

Good luck!!!I am sure that you will have fun..wherever you choose.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Decisions, decisions....

I have been to both islands. Loved Maui. Drove up Haleakala and went to heavenly Hana.

Nevis is quieter and not as Americanized and you can easily take a day trip to sister island of St. Kitts.

A website you might enjoy is www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches or www.nevisisland.com

I personally prefer Nevis. Friendly locals, Sunshines Beach Bar, Mount Nevis, Botanical Gardens and so much more....

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM

We actually sat around for several months trying to decide between these same islands for an upcoming trip in Jaunary and chose the FS Nevis. Kauai is our most favorite place in the world, so Maui seemed like a logical choice to my husband. However, in researching the two islands, decided that Nevis was more of what my husband and I wanted. Examples of the food reported to be good was everything from pizza and chicken cacciatore to shrimp and mexican food. We live in Mpls and can fly to Maui in eight hours, but opted to instead fly to Miami, overnight and fly to San Juan and then to Nevis the next day as we feel it is so worth it. The Nevis FS hotel is on a fabulous beach. One of the things I have heard people comment on the most is how well they were treated by the locals. Let us know what YOU decide!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Clear - Tough choice. Being from the left coast, I have been to Hawaii (all the islands incl Maui) many times. In fact, got married in Maui.

But I also lived many years in the Caribbean and have been to many of those islands (alas, not Nevis yet).

In terms of beaches and water sports, I find the caribbean more comfortable and enjoyable. Hawaii has strong seas with lots of waves and currents. Beautiful, yes, but daunting. The caribbean islands tend to have fewer waves, and calmer, more turquoise waters. If you've done Hawaii, but not the caribbean, then definitely, check out Nevis.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I have been to both....Since yiu live closer...

Maui would be my choice..I love Hawaii...
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Not to add to the confusion further, but have you considered the 4S on the Big Island of Hawaii? It's a bit more of a unique hotel in that it's lots of small, two-story buildings scattered around the grounds as opposed to one big building. And the scenery on the Big Island is incredible.