Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Fresh catch and books St. John? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/fresh-catch-and-books-st-john-559218/)

IRabbit Sep 18th, 2005 06:25 AM

Fresh catch and books St. John?

Okay, I have the wine store info, thanks to (I think it was) Tuxedocat. Now if one of the experts can recommend a place to buy fresh fish and also a bookstore or shop that carries a decent selection of novels, I'll appreciate it. I usually carry a packful of books and mags, but I'm hoping to do carryon for the week. Thanks!

brenandg Sep 18th, 2005 07:58 AM

Which wine store are you referring to? I have read that The Marina Market turned Maria Wine and Spirits has closed as of 8/27. It had been up for sale for a while. This is in Cruz Bay, you may have posted before, but I don't know if you are staying in Cruz or Coral Bay area. Thought I would mention it just in case.

Tuxedocat Sep 18th, 2005 08:15 AM

We do alot of our own fishing (you have to be careful, a bacteria known as "ciguaterra" exists in the Virgin Islands and only certain fish can be eaten) so I have not sought out a real fish market. Fisherman will often try to sell some of their catch from impromptu stands set up in the waterfront area in Cruz Bay. They will do this usually after 3 p.m. across from the car ferry area. I have purchased some excellent fresh fish there. There used to be a book store in the Starfish Market complex. Books and magazines are aslo sold in Starfish Market itself and at in the drugstore right across from it. Several souvenir/gift shops in Mongoose Junction complex also sell books and such. By the way, Christiegr had read some information on another site that seemed to indicate the wine shop has closed. I haven't heard anything else confirming that. If in fact it has closed, there is one other wine source which is on the first floor of the Lumberyard complex in downtown Cruz Bay just across from the car ferry.

christiegr Sep 21st, 2005 06:37 PM

Rabbit,
The wine shop is up for sale and closed.We just returned from there last night.Sorry..we also were looking forward to visiting it.

alya Sep 21st, 2005 07:10 PM

Hey Christie,

Welcome back - how was the weather?

christiegr Sep 22nd, 2005 03:31 AM

Hi alya,
The weather was pretty good.We had some rain on Monday but it did not last allday.

Tuxedocat Sep 22nd, 2005 07:13 AM

So disturbing about the closing of that wine shop. It really was terrific. Perhaps whoever buys the property will do the same thing. Oh well, the other places to get wine are Starfish Market and (I think it's called 'Mixology?') a place on the first level of the Lumberyard complex.

IRabbit Sep 23rd, 2005 04:08 AM

Too bad about the wine store! We'll look for the place across from the car ferry. And thanks for the tip about the fishermen setting up on the waterfront. We're staying in the Coral Bay area, but it sounds like we'll be doing some provisioning in Cruz Bay. Christiegr, I noticed from your trip report you enjoyed the Quiet Mon. The name alone attracted us on our first (very short) visit, so I know we'll be stopping back there to watch the chickens "play chicken".

christiegr Sep 23rd, 2005 04:32 AM

Rabbit,
Yes we did enjoy Quiet Mon..it was great for people and rooster watching..lol :D

brenandg Sep 23rd, 2005 06:08 AM

Is the Quiet Mon in Cruz Bay?

christiegr Sep 23rd, 2005 07:56 AM

Brenda,
Yes..it's straight up the road from where the ferries come in (beside Woody's)on the left(above La Tapa).It was our favorite little bar.:)

brenandg Sep 23rd, 2005 04:09 PM

Thanks Christie, we will have to check that place out. One more question. I have a list of places that I would like to go to eat and for drinks. I have written down Tapa's and La Tapa. Is that the same place? I apologize for highjacking the thread :)

christiegr Sep 23rd, 2005 05:43 PM

I believe that it is 2 different places..not sure though.Maybe Tuxedocat will see this and answer you.

christiegr Sep 23rd, 2005 06:46 PM

Brenda,
I just searched and could only find La Tapa.There is also a restaurant called Tage..could that be it??

Irabbit,
When are you going to St John??

Tuxedocat Sep 23rd, 2005 08:49 PM

La Tapa and Tapa I think are the same place. It's in Cruz Bay which is really, really small and Tapas is the place. It's good for food and it has a nice bar where Michael J.Fox favors, not that that matters. I have never been to Tage, but it must be a different place.