Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Frangipani or Allamanda? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/frangipani-or-allamanda-141328/)

annie2341 Jan 1st, 2004 03:42 PM

Frangipani or Allamanda?

We are going to Anguilla for our honeymoon in June 2004. We have narrowed down our choices to Frangipani or Allamanda. I know the Frangipani is more expensive, but it seems to be directly on the beach. Is Meads Bay more secluded/better than Upper Shoal Bay? The Allamanda is certainly cheaper, but I have seen that it is 2 min. walk to the beach. Is that inconvenient if we need to run back to the room for something? I will stop going on and would appreciate any help! If possible, we would also appreciate specific room numbers anyone would recommend at either. (We would probably get a 1-bedroom suite at Frangipani, if that helps.) Thanks in advance!!!

MaryD Jan 1st, 2004 03:51 PM

Frangipani is PERFECT for a honeymoon -- it sits right on the most beautiful beach in Anguilla; is small & intimate; the suites are HUGE; it has a lovely, non-intrusive staff; every suite is gorgeous (1st floor, you walk out onto the beach but we prefer the 2nd floor -- private balconies & no one walking by your suite so you can leave the drapes open -- personal preferences only; they're all wonderful).

annie2341 Jan 1st, 2004 04:17 PM

Mary,
Thank you for such a quick response! Do you know of a particular ocean-front room number to request when registering? Also, do you usually book directly with the hotel or use an agent? Thanks again!
Anne

MaryD Jan 1st, 2004 04:59 PM

We book directly & get the "Sun, Sea & Sand" package (I think that's what it's called -- it's a week for about $1575). All of the suites are beautiful & all are on the ocean (there are only 8 -- it's a very small resort). We request 2nd floor because we like it better -- many people prefer the 1st for walking out directly on the beach. Because it is SO small, they don't really take specific room requests but 1st or 2nd floor can be honored. Really -- they're all fabulous.

Claudette Jan 2nd, 2004 05:34 AM

DO they have any special packages for honeymooners that include some meals and/or activities?

HowardC Jan 2nd, 2004 06:14 AM

There is no comparison between Alamanda and Frangipani. Frangipani wins hands down. The Sun Sea and Sand package is the best deal for the dollar on the island and includes a continental breakfast each day. It works out to about $1900 with taxes. Suites 1 thru 4 are on the ground floor and 5 thru 7 are on the second. Suites 1A and 5A are the most popular but all are very nice. Suite 7A is a Junior efficiency suite with kitchen. Might be a little less expensive. Have stayed in it and the only draw back is a small balcony. Suite 8A is the penthouse. They do try and honor suite requests but since the suites with the exception of 4A can be configured as a one two or three bedroom suite you may not get the specific suite you requested. Example--If you request 5A and someone wants it as a two bedroom suite they would probably get it. You won't be disappointed in any of the suites. I have a detailed review of Frangipnai on wwwdebbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com--click on Anguilla and reviews. For Claudette--They do have a honeymoon package called 7 Nights of Champagne and Love which should be described on their web site. I agree with Mary that Frangipani is the perfect place for a honeymoon, small quiet and intimate. We have stayed there 15 times and are going back in Feb. Book directly with them using the 1-800 number. They also have rental cars on site thru Carib Rent a Car--$245/week plus $20 for an Anguilla drivers license.

caribtraveler Jan 2nd, 2004 07:10 AM

annie..congrats on the wedding!
look for my frangipani trip report in may. i have to tell you i booked frangipani after reading many positive opinions from fellow fodorites (including ardent fan "howardc"). i've read reviews on other sites and NEVER read a bad thing about it..so i don't think you'd go wrong with frangipani.

annie2341 Jan 4th, 2004 10:53 AM

HowardC and caribtraveler,
THANK YOU both so much for your comments and help! You have made our decision very easy for us! I really appreciate it. Caribtraveler, I look forward to reading your trip report in May!

ONE OTHER QUESTION...
We were thinking of taking the ferry to St. Martin/St. Maarten for one overnight to get a little nightlife, any recommendations on hotels there? We don't need to go glamorous, since we'll be double-paying (we'll go in the middle of our 7-night package), so something in the $100-150 range. Location would be most important. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.