Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > For newlyweds-Tortola;St. Kitts;Nevis;Virgin Gorda;St. Johns?which island should we go to?and stay where?

For newlyweds-Tortola;St. Kitts;Nevis;Virgin Gorda;St. Johns?which island should we go to?and stay where?

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:05 AM
undecided

For newlyweds-Tortola;St. Kitts;Nevis;Virgin Gorda;St. Johns?which island should we go to?and stay where?

We want to book something soon and don't want fuss. We love the beach! and being near it.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:12 AM
Kara

St. John, Virgin Gorda or Peter Island.
Peter Island is unbelievable and caters to your every need. The best beach in the BVI's.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:17 AM
CC

Been to Caneel Bay (7 beaches at the resort) on St. John - loved it. Day trips to St. Thomas are possible. Also Caneel Bay offers day trips to Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda and I think they even do resort exchanges (stay on St. John part of the time and then on V. Gorda). Too many beautiful beaches in the Virgin Islands!

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:39 PM
Penney

St Kitts was one of the most beautiful islands we have been too. very mountainous and green, lush and prestine - the gov't there is very strict about maintaining its island. Really beautiful. There are not all the crowds of people, small but cute town with places to eat, beautiful beaches and scenery.

Mar 21st, 2002, 02:30 PM
Keith

Went to Biras Creek resort on Virgon Gorda for our honeymoon. It was wonderful. I have since gone to Peter Island resort. That was great as well. The food and service was better at Biras but the beach is a nicer at Peter Island. Biras gives each guest unlimited use of their own 10' boston whaler. That way you can explore the sound on your own and find a private beach. I didn't stay at Little Dix but we ate there one night and was not impressed.

Mar 21st, 2002, 03:39 PM
Dave

While I have not been to St. John I have been to the others. St. Kitts and Nevis are very nice and safe islands. The best beach on Kitts is Frigate Bay. My wife and I went to Tortola 2 years in a row and would still be our first choice. Now I haven't been there since 89 so don't know what the hotel is like now, but we really enjoyed the Prospect Reef. You are close to Roadtown, have a good pool and a snorkelling pool. The horizon in the morning is wonderful, looking out over Francis Drake Channel and the other islands. You would be close to the ferry to St. Thomas should you wish. However, the beaches are on the other side of the island. Some of the grandest I have seen anywhere. Cane Garden Bay is heaven. Smugglers Cove and nice little hide away. You can stay at Long Bay Resort (Carrot Bay or Apple Bay, I think). Don't know anyone that has stayed there.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:48 PM
stillundecided

great info. kara- do you have villa names or hotels you would recommend?
cc-caneel bay-is it crowded?- i like the idea of splitting up the trip.
penney-where did you stay on st. kitts? do they have diving and hiking?
keith- you make this a tough one. so is the beach at biras not pretty? do you get to stay on the beach?
THAT IS A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE- GREAT PLACE NEAR THE BEACH-- NOT A HUGE HIKE TO IT? WHERE WOULD THAT BE?
Dave- Frigate Bay- what is it like? and prices? and the beach?thanks for the info.

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:27 PM
undecided

anyone with hiking or renting a jeep info?
hear tortola is great and peter island?
there are too many islands and not enough time in our life.

Mar 27th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Jackie

I am recently back from the BVI. We stayed in Tortola at Long Bay Resort. We took day trips to Virgin Gorda and to Peter Island Resort and also did a day sail trip to Norman Island. Next time, I would split the time between Virgin Gorda and Tortola and try to do a day trip to Anageda. (I would love to do PIR for the entire vacation, but too pricey!) I would also look into a villa rather than a hotel.

The beach at Long Bay is lovely except if you like to swim or play in the water. It is rough and rocky. Smuggler's cove is over the hill and is suppose to be pretty nice.

We considered renting a jeep, but after experiencing the roads and wanting to enjoy a few drinks, we thought it best to stay with taxis. I've been back more than a week and still feeling mellow, except for my memories of the cab rides. The roads are pretty hairy with speed bumps, hair pin turns, inadequate guard rails, and narrow roads.

Have fund wherever you go!

Mar 28th, 2002, 04:49 AM
frank

Tortola is not for beaches. Prospect Reef is timeshare and not very nice aside from the fact there is no beach there. Long Bay is not recommended because of rough surf and rocky beach but it is pretty just not swimmable. Virgin Gorda is wonderful but Biras has a bike ride to the swimming beach. Great small beach in a cove with wonderful snorkling from the beach. Also Whalers there you can go out on your own. Peter Island beachfront is great with great hiking and walking trails and yummy beach. Caneel has accomodations on some of its seven beaches. You need funds to hit any of these places!

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Linda

We honeymooned at Long Bay last June.Loved the resort- great pool, exercise room, restaurant.Other bars and restaurants are only minutes away. The beach is beautiful- some rocks out in water by hotel, but not at other end of beach. Smuggler's is a short hike or jeep ride and is STUNNING. I don't know who said beaches weren't nice at Tortola! Cane Garden Bay is lovely, Brewer's Bay is one of the top 5 prettiest I've ever seen. From the ferry at the West End you can go to Jost van Dyke and it's stunning White Bay beach.We took the plane to Anegada which was cool. Loved having the jeep to explore the island- just take it easy.I've not been to Kitt's- like St John's Caneel , but there's definitely more at Tortola. Go to the BVI board at www.traveltalkonline and check out trip reports for suggestions.

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Keith

Stillundecided- I don't want to give the impression that the beach at Biras isn't nice. It is beautiful. White sand, clear blue water, protected so very little waves. It is a little smaller than the Peter Island beach which is why I liked that one better.

Biras has ocean front rooms but they are not on the swimming beach. The rooms are right on the water but you don't swim there. The swimming beach is a 5 minute bike ride. They provide the bikes for each room. My wife and I enjoyed biking around the resort but that is a personal decision. One the bikes everything is within 5 minutes.

Mar 28th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Susie

Went to Long Bay two years ago and loved it. You can rent rooms a villa or a private house with a pool. Staff is friendly, beach is beautiful, quiet and peaceful. We were there in the summer and the beach was swimmable, only part is rocky. The rest of the island has absolutely gorgeous beaches. You could go to a different one every day if you wanted to. There is some shopping and fun night life (Bomba's Beach Shack). Driving isn't scarey, but it is an adventure! The island has mountains and curvey roads. There is a tropical rainforest with hiking. You can rent a car right at the resort and they will make all sorts of arrangements for any excursion you'd want...snorkeling, sailing,fishing, etc. Service may be a little slow, but you adjust to the "island time" and learn to relax. I think I've just talked myself into going there again this summer!

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:43 AM
new

so-- we think it's st kitt's and nevis. any thoughts on hurricane cove? does it get really hot at night in june? we don't think there is ac? and restaurant suggestions please.
know anything about rawlinsplantation in st. kitts?

Apr 4th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Bill

Timothy Beach Resort in St. Kitts has 2 wedding and honeymoon packages. There were 3 weddings there in Febuary. Contact Diana who does an excellent job of arrangements and whatever you need. www.timothybeachresort.com

Search this Thread