For Kids - MorningStar or Frenchman's Reef

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to St. John this winter with my five year old (we have a time share)

Unfortunately (yeah right) we have to stay an extra three days and are using Marriott points to stay at Frenchman's Reef. They have just offered us a free upgrade to Morningstar (my husband is quite the frequent customer).

So here is my question - my mother (who has a very bad memory) was there several years ago with my nephew and as I recall either said one of those two resorts or the beach there wasn't good for kids. Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:43 PM

Hi Cathryn,

We were at Frenchmans for one night before heading over to St. John in 2001.

They are both really the same property... you'd be able to enjoy the amenities of both no matter which you choose.

Frenchman's will offer you views of the harbor, which is lovely, especially in the evening all lit up... the cruise ships dock below the resort & they're beautiful as they come in & out. It was also fun watching the sea planes taking off & landing in the bay.

Morning Star is on a different bay & situated below FR. Basically, they are at sea level, whereas FR is clifftop.

MS had a lovely beach... was much more serene & quiet, yet had it's own restaurant and pool, so either way you'll enjoy it.

Personally, I would've like MS for the quiet beach & more cottage-like accomadations, although I did enjoy the activity of the bay from FR.

Have a great time!
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:12 PM

I have found the surf at FR/Morningstar to be quite rough. More like surf you expect to find along the Altantic coast. Don't know if that is the norm or not though.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:19 AM

I have been to Morningstar three times. I would not recommend small children going into the ocean because of the rough surf. Surf is kind of fun for teens or adults. It is not the best for swimming or snorkeling. Frenchman's Reef has no beach because it is located on a cliff. Both have nice pools, but in my view, the pool at FR is a bit nicer with its swim under footbridge and swim-up bar.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much - this is probably what she meant. Since she will have already had a week on the beach at the Westin - will book in the Frenchman AWAY from the beach and tell her it's pool time.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Hi Cathryn,

As was previously said, both resorts are on the same beach. The properties share amenites so it really doesn't matter which resort you choose. There is, however, a big difference between the two. FR is a high-rise with super AC'd halls and elevators while Morningstar is a series of three story tall buildings that are right off the beach. Staying at FR, IMO, is like staying in any chain hotel in the states while Morningstar has more of an 'island' feel to it, especially with the gorgeous landscaping surrounding the buildings.

If I had a choice of the two I would take Morningstar without any further consideration. As for the beach, it tends to be more or less rough depending on the general weather affecting the island at the time. If it is rough, wait a day to see if it changes or simply head to one of the other beaches on the island...they are only a short ride away. I've seen one beach with really rough water and the next beach with nice, calm water.

My vote would be for Morningstar. If you are intersted, send me an email and I will send you some photos that will show more of the difference between FR & Morningstar.

Schultz
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Schulz - After answering the first posts I though - my daughter is used to swimming in the Atlantic (admittedly we stay right with her, unlike to pool where we can watch from a distance) and I love being close to the beach (something we will miss at the condos in St. John).

I'll admit it, if it is possible to get your email from fodors I don't see how - if you would please email me at [email protected] I would appreciate it!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:34 AM
cdt

I agree completely with Schultz and would absolutely book Morningstar if I were fortunate enough to have a free upgrade.

Look at it this way: how would you feel if you booked FR and it turned out the water was really calm during your stay?

And if it's rough, you can probably find better conditions at Magens, Coki, or Secret Harbour.