Food and water safety in the Cayman Islands

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Food and water safety in the Cayman Islands

We will be traveling to the Cayman Islands with our 2 kids. Any tips on the safety of eating fruits and vegetables on GC?
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM

NO. There are no worries at all. The grocery stores are very modern and I drank water out of the facet the last five times I've been there and have NEVER had a problem!
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you so much for your quick reply. We are leaving next week at last minute's notice and we haven't had a chance to get our Hep A vaccine. The web sites we've looked at seem very alarmist about the incidence of Hep A on the island.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I looked at the CDC website and the map is too small for my eyes to tell if Caymen is a high incidence area for Hep A or not.

Hepatitis A is spread fecal/oral. So, you're food safety is highly dependent on the personal hygiene habits of the food preparers.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

We'll be preparing most of our own food. But I'm wondering whether the big hotels are reliable places to eat.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM

The Cayman Islands are a 1st world country and have a higher standard of living than most countries and even some US states. The water is all desalinated an perfectly safe to drink. Food preparation standards are mirrored on the US standards. Hotels restaurants and just about any place you would eat, including roadside BBQ & fish frys are safe. Hepatitis C is not an overt concern. Eat, drink, be merry!