Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Fodors.com regarding inappropriate postings (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/fodors-com-regarding-inappropriate-postings-250230/)

copied from the cruise forum Aug 16th, 2002 10:12 AM

Fodors.com regarding inappropriate postings

Author: Danny Mangin ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/12/2002, 12:21 pm<BR>Message: Hello All --<BR><BR>We’ve had a wild week on the Cruises forum, so I thought I’d post this gentle reminder from all of us at Fodors.com:<BR><BR>The topic of the forum is cruise travel. We ask you to keep the focus on cruise travel: tips, advice, trip reports, et cetera; to keep the discussion civil at all times; and to avoid profanity. Disagreement is fine -- we welcome a diversity of opinions -- but rudeness is not. (This includes calling someone an idiot, either in lowercase letters or all caps.) The site monitors have been instructed to delete all posts and threads that are not about cruise travel or whose tone is not civil. <BR><BR>Additionally, we do not allow plagiarism, which includes the cutting and pasting of material from other copyrighted or uncopyrighted sources. (But it’s fine to give the URL of a New York Times story related to cruise travel, for instance.) And we do not allow commercial promotion. This includes plugs by travel agents or their friends/proxies posting e-mail or Web-site addresses. We welcome the contributions of all travelers, regardless of their profession, but this forum is for traveler-to-traveler advice, not commercial promotion.<BR><BR>A brief note about how we monitor this site: We can in some cases "clean up" a thread by deleting a couple of inappropriate posts, but the process simply becomes too time-consuming when a thread has turned into a flame war or is riddled with profanity. We sometimes have to cut our losses and hope the topic will resurface. Our apologies to Fodorites whose legitimate posts or threads get lost in this shuffle.<BR><BR>I hope this clarifies our general approach. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail us at [email protected]. As always, our thanks (to most of you!) for making this a great resource for travelers planning a cruise vacation. <BR><BR>Yours truly,<BR><BR><BR>Danny Mangin<BR>Editorial Director<BR>Fodors.com<BR>

Chris Aug 16th, 2002 10:19 AM

Then Danny why has the sex on the beach thread been kept this long? Is that one for your amusing too?

KB Aug 16th, 2002 10:21 AM

At first when I read this I thought "Dang, I should be checking out the cruise postings." But its just one gigantic argument about whether Carnival Cruise Lines is trashy or not. Sort of like the Sandals thing they had going here for a while. But on the plus side, no waterfall posts!

xxx Aug 16th, 2002 10:25 AM

I think you should be looking a little more carefully at this forum. It could use some serious house cleaning. I appreciate the ones you have already cleaned, but there are obviously some trashy trolls trying to denegrate the forum.

anon Aug 16th, 2002 12:18 PM

Actually, I enjoy SOME of the trolls. Without them do you realize how boring this site would be. Some of them are ingenious and the replies quite good. They make my day sometimes. We all need some humor in our lives.

get a job Aug 16th, 2002 01:58 PM

get a normal job !

Ramjet Aug 16th, 2002 05:41 PM

There is alot of disparity in ANY public forum; it is something that needs to be expected. Nobody should be "shocked" or "amazed" at the posts that will turn up. Fodors is no different than any other public message board. A few do's and don'ts may be helpful. Do expect criticism; an opinion is just that and not everbody will agree with your opinion. Do post a legitimate question, for there is a 100% probability it will be answered. Do thank the person(s) who answered your question, it will be appreciated. Do YOUR best to carry on in civil and polite manner. Don't reply or respond to critical, rude, nasty, vulgar, or profanity laced people; internet clowns exist EVERYWHERE and they only exist to get a response or reaction from you. Don't say you hate Fodors, you are tired of the bickering, or you can't believe what goes on here. If that were the case you would simply leave. People that post negatively EXPECT and WANT you to respond! This type of site is a major part of their life and they exult in this. Remember you are here to simply get a positive response to your post; it will happen. If a post gives you a positive and informative answer to your question, GREAT, if you see a stupid post, IGNORE it. Remember enjoy life and your travels, it is silly to let these mindless and rude posts get to you. They will ALWAYS be there, why should you or I worry about them? Happy trails to all.

mary Aug 17th, 2002 02:53 AM

Ramjet, my thoughts exactly to the tee. I have been monitoring this board almost nightly for about 6 months, I have never responded to the 'trolls', because it's really not worth the effort. I also live my life in the same way. Let it go people, you're never going to change these people, if anything you fueling their fire!!

Robert Aug 17th, 2002 04:37 AM

Yes, I so agree. "PLanned Ignoring" is the key to ridding the attention-seekers. They apparently need an audience, so take the audience away from them, and simply don't respond to their caustic remarks. If they drag out of you feelings of being insulted, don't respond by defending yourself. Sure, feel insulted, but, still, respond differently if you do. You may say, "Sorry you feel that way, but my thoughts are as follows as to why I enjoy...." Or, don't respond at all to them, and broaden you response to a previous post by someone else, above the caustic one. His/her remarks will be squeezed in between two polite and respectful postings. Robert

havkhones Aug 17th, 2002 05:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the sex on the beach thread.

anon Aug 19th, 2002 07:49 AM

Danny and Fodors wants to delete rude threads now that all the kids are almost back in school. A little late aren't you? But I guess better late than never. On the other hand, I also like a little wild debate once in a while.

dannywhere Aug 22nd, 2002 12:02 PM

Danny,<BR>If you want to keep the neighborhood looking neat and clean, delete the Irish slavery thread. It has degenerated into a stream of bitter and obscene invective.