Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Flying to St Thomas: better to fly from Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Which airport is more user-friendly, better parking, etc? Schedules and fares seem about the same. We can get as easily to one as to the other. We've used Miami in the past for the Caribbean-- never used Ft L. Does someone have experience with both? Is one to be preferred? Thanks!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:07 AM

Fort Lauderdale absolutely! Smaller, nicer, easier. The one time we flew out of Miami to the Caribbean there was a 90 minute baggage check in line and we got to the front 44 minutes before our flight. Well, they won't take baggage less than 45 minutes before a flight and no matter how we pleaded it was a no go. Yes, I realize this could happen anywhere but FLL is not a hub for the Caribbean so it is just less crowded and more traveler-friendly!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:25 AM

Avoid MIA at all costs. We try not to ever fly through MIA, but sometimes we cannot avoid it. It is a horrible experience everytime. Definitely, if you have a choice do FLT. It is a much better airport.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM

I agree with both above---but for a different reason. Miami is usually a terrible customs and immigration experience. We came back last week from the Caribbean at Tampa. Customs and immigration took all of 10 minutes. My last experience in Miami was miserable--nearly two hours! I've not used FLL for customs and immigration but can't believe it would compare to Miami's inefficiency!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

woops! Thanks for your replies all. Sadly, I just learned that while there's service to the Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale, it's not non-stop. There's a nice non-stop to St Thomas (we'll be heading on to St John) at noon. So MIA I suppose it'll have to be. sigh....