Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What to do in 1 afternoon in Nassau/Paradise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What could we possibly see in Nassau in 1 afternoon? Everything I hear for sightseeing is negative. One person had said to go over to Atlantis for the afternoon and I just read someone else's opinion that it was a bust. Is there anything worth doing to bother getting off of the boat? Does anyone know how long a ferry/boat ride it is to get from Nassau to Paradise Island? Would it be worth going there? I went there in 1974 and was very underimpressed, but I'd give a recommendation a try.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM

Just returned from Nassau. Can't remember how long the fery takes but I would suggest you sign up to snorkel at Stuart Coves. Their bus picks up and takes you to their site. The tropical fish are gorgeous. If you're brave you be part of the shark encounter. Make sure you rent one of their wet suits and you'll have a good time.My 12 yeaer old neice loved it! They have their own web page; just type in stuart coves and you can read about the trip. Don't do the Sea Island Adventure; snorkeling is not good.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you don't tell us anything about what you like to do, it's hard to respond. The ferry ride is pretty short. Paradise Island has changed a LOT in the twenty years since you were last there. However, the Atlantis is the main attraction there. The aquariums and the Dig are quite spectacular. You will not be able to use their slides or pools, but can use the beach there.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM

Atlantis is a must!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM

How long do you have? I think walking around the Atlantis complex would be fun. You will have to pay for the Aquarium called "The Dig," but you can walk for free (imagine!) around the gardens and outdoor cave aquariums by the Beach Tower. There are also a couple very atmospheric restaurants in the Royal Tower (although expensive!) for lunch. Murray's Deli is a bit less expensive, but is a deli. You can also get an ice cream down by Murray's and gawk at the amazing yachts!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM

Have been to both islands several times. I have been on an excursion to swim with sting rays, it was ok. I have walked through atlantis but not payed to use their facilities. Right off the ship you can rent a scooter for several hours. You can drive around nassau's rural areas and isolated beaches, you can do shopping, and you can drive across the bridge to paradise island and see atlantis all in one trip. That is how I would spend my time
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would bypass Nassau. It is dumpy. Sorry to all who love it, but I thought it wasn't worth spending 5 minutes there.
We stayed at the Atlantis and it is quite a hotel/complex. You may enjoy an afternoon there. Lunch, beach, etc..