Caribbean on a Budget

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 04:17 AM
rebecca

Caribbean on a Budget

What is the best place to go, in terms of value for the dollar, in the Carribean? I am thinking about ushering the millenium there, and don't have a lot of money. Everyone says Cuba can't be beat, but I am wondering if there are some other places that I might look at. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 05:21 AM
Decent Tropical

Go to frommers.com and subscribe to their daily newsletter. They tell you about a lot of Caribbean bargains. Check the newsletters of the past week or two where they list a lot of Caribbean deals. <BR> <BR>In general, the Dominican Republic is supposed to have the best values.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 05:22 AM
Decent Tropical

Also, see my post of travel URL's

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 07:50 AM
Lori

Hi Rebecca, <BR> <BR>Caribbean and budget are two words that don't belong in the same sentence!! Hah! But seriously, the islands always tend to be expensive because, well because they can, people always want to go there and plus almost everything has to be shipped in. However, shopping around you can find some good deals. Go in the off season, prices are almost half of what they are in the high season. Since were from Canada, Oct. to Dec. would be a good time - your millenium timeframe will cost you. If that's the time you want to go perhaps try an all-inclusive resort. Try Jamaica, they have great all-inclusives as well as Cancun. Cuba is good too however I have a friend who went there (I can't remember the resort) but she wasn't pleased). She says Cuba is not a very lush, tropical place (her opinion, not mine as I have never been there). Try Jamaica, I have been there. Very lush, beautiful beaches, great food and great people. Final point, if you want to go for the Millenium, BOOK NOW as availibility may be sparse. <BR> <BR>I've gone on,and on, and on and on long enough... have fun where ever you decide to go.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 08:04 AM
Michel

Experience has taught me that the best values are Cuba, the Dominican Republic and the Mayan Coast (not Cancun). We also love the west coast of Jamaica (Negril) but it is more expensive. Have fun. <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 04:53 PM
Joe Raphael

Rebecca, Cuba is not as cheap as people make it out to be. Check out the Donminican Republic packages. If you can rent a car and stay at any inn check out Puerto Rico. Although it has some of the most expensive and luxurious resorts in the Caribbean, it also has dozens of low cost inns $80 dollars or less. Plus the rental cars, and food is generally cheaper in San Juan than other Caribbean Islands. It's got lots of familiar american fast food places, supermarkets, and many inexpensive local eats.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 04:05 AM

If your on a real budget there's the youth hostel in Cancum Mexico. The last time I checked you didnt have to be a youth, they took VISA charge cards, and they had no curfews unlike youth hostels in some other areas. Its right on the beach, the same beach that the luxury hotels are on. The last time I was in Mexico they had a law that all beaches are public and none are private so you could stay at the youth hostel and use the beaches in front of the luxurt hotels. The one draw back however is that the last time I checked you dont get your own room and the rooms had around 12 beds in each one which you had to share with strangers of the same sex.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 03:03 PM
C.Clark

Hi Rebecca, you may want to check out this site: www.skyauctions.com <BR>great deals can be had, just make sure that you know your prices before going in so that you don't end up paying more than you should have. Look under sun destinations, I think that you'll be pleasantly suprised. <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 04:03 AM
Brenda

The best value for the money changes from time to time. We have been to Mexico many times and had a ball. Than we went to the D.R. five times , loved every trip. We have found some good deals to many of the islands but some just are expensive. We have booked a vacation for Negil(poinciana beach resort)Jamaica and the price was $1580. for two in a two bedroom villa two baths, living room, dining room, kit.(who needs it)and patio. This is an all inclusive package that includes everything(airfare, transfers, room, food and drinks round the clock. all the watersports to boot. We have been on these before many times it is the way to go. <BR>Brenda

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 04:03 AM
Brenda

The best value for the money changes from time to time. We have been to Mexico many times and had a ball. Than we went to the D.R. five times , loved every trip. We have found some good deals to many of the islands but some just are expensive. We have booked a vacation for Negil(poinciana beach resort)Jamaica and the price was $1580. for two in a two bedroom villa two baths, living room, dining room, kit.(who needs it)and patio. This is an all inclusive package that includes everything(airfare, transfers, room, food and drinks round the clock. all the watersports to boot. We have been on these before many times it is the way to go. <BR>Brenda