The perfect beach escape?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in May and we are having a tough time picking a spot to celebrate. This will be our first getaway without kids in 3 years, so we are looking for peaceful seclusion. We like the idea of all-inclusive, but are a little hestiant to go with one of the mega resorts. Guana Island caught my eye and looks great, but we would prefer somewhere that we can fly direct to - we'll only have 5 days so we don't want to spend a two full days travelling there and back. A direct flight out of Charlotte is what we're looking for. We've travelled a good bit, but have never been to Mexico, so that is a possibility. We have been to the Dominican Republic twice, had good experiences both times, but we want to go somewhere different this time. So the main requirements are nice beach, quiet, good food, and easily accessible from Charlotte. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!!!
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 07:46 AM

You probably could meet most of your requirements in the USVI. You won't find as many all-inclusive options there as in some other places, but you would be able to find all of the other things you mention. There are direct flights from Charlotte to St. Thomas, and you could either stay there or take the short ferry ride and stay on St. John. My wife and I are about to head back there, and we can't wait. It is our favorite place of anywhere we have ever been.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Take a look at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso and Secrets Maroma. Iberostar is a little smaller than Secrets Maroma. Both are a nonstop flight from Charlotte into Cancun. Both are adults only. We take the flight from Charlotte and usually get to either hotel early afternoon. Also, take a look at El Dorado Maroma. It's a smaller boutique hotel along that same beach. Still adult only. All hotels along the same beach about one mile apart.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM

nonstop clt to grand cayman lving 11:30 arrive 1:17 on usair. no real ai but the reef resort is condo rooms with ai avail meal plan. away from seven mile beach but does not compare to guana. not upscale but med?

or to provo in turks & caicos lving clt 11:35 ar pls 2:27 using united or usair. there are several nice resorts on grace bay beach. the grace bay club is fairly set apart as is turks & caicos club. a great option would be parrot cay. 40 min drive. 20 min boat ride. very laid back, plenty of seclusion. nice resort!
for cancun, lv clt 9:35 ar mex 11:31 on usair. an outstanding resort choice would be maroma beach resort. you could be on the beach by say 2ish.

st thomas on usair or united lv clt 11:40 ar stt 3:18. best choice would be caneel bay resort on st. john. caneel will meet you at the airport, shuttle you to their personal ferry and boat you to resort. you wouldn't get there til say 5 but you wouldn't have to think after you boarded in clt. there are some nice places in bvi but they all exceed your travel time requirements.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM

I just returned from my third trip to the Turks and Caicos. It is absolutely beautiful. My all time favorite romantic all inclusive place in the world is The Caves in Negril, Jamaica. I don't know if there is a direct flight from Charlotte but it is definately worth looking into. We flew to Montego Bay and then you can either dirve up to Negril or even better take a quick little puddle jumper. You can find them on the internet at islandoutpost.com. If you call them they are happy to help arrange the transportation to MBJ airport and back again. I won't lie, it is expensive but when they say all inclusive they mean it. All food and alcohol are included. There are no children under 16 allowed unless the whole place is rented. Spa treatment and excurtions are extra but I never wanted to leave the perfectly blissful surroundings on the "compound." Sometimes I think The Caves saved my marriage. Look into it. Have fun!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM

I would also vote for T&C bit Parrot Caye though physically beautiful adds 2 + hours after landing to get to the resort because it is a bit remote and that makes it special. But, it is also over-priced, IMO. Some of the recommendations above are worth considering but the Grace Bay Club would not be my first choice. You should look for one that caters has a 75-80 units so that it is not too large yet it will offer all the amenities of a larger resort. You have the benefit of getting the shoulder season rates but not the low season rates at the nicer places because they do not offer their lowest rates until June 1 because that is just about the beginning of potential hurricanes and major tropical depressions. But early May is lovely with high temps around 88 and evening lows 8-10 degrees lower.