Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Anse Beach (Grenada) and Reduit Beach (St. Lucia) ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 02:39 PM
Carl

For those who've been to either or both, how are these 2 beaches in terms of water and sand quality? I saw a previous msg about waves on the beach at a Sandals-St Lucia resort. Are there waves at Grand Anse or Reduit Beach? Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 05:08 PM
Jennifer

I was on grand Anse Beach 3 weeks ago. It is beautiful, the waves were not strong the day we were there, the water was the most beautiful turquois colour and the beach was great. There are vendors, but they stick to one end of the beach and don't bother you. The island of Grenada is very nice, the natives have to be the most friendliest people of all the islands that I've visited. Just a word of advice the island is very expensive. It might not be so bad if you're American, but we're Canadian and we found if very expensive. For example a hamburger would be about $8.00 American. Have a great holiday wherever you go!!

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 06:34 AM
LisaM30

I was married right on Reduit Beach in St. Lucia on October 22, 1998. St. Lucia is absolutely beautiful. Reduit Beach is a public beach, so you will find locals trying to sell you stuff, but they are not overwhelming. They are very friendly and will go away if you say you're not interested. The sand there is dark, St. Lucia is a volcanic island. The water there is not as crystal clear blue as you would find in other caribbean islands, and VERY calm, really no waves. I've never been to Grenada so I can't help you there. St. Lucia ia a beautiful place to visit and I highly recommend it. If you have any additional questions, please email me directly. Good luck!

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 06:47 AM
Neil Fossum

I was just on a Windjammer Barefoot Cruise out of Granada with a follow on week in St Lucia. Grand Anse Beach is absolutely beautiful! It is on the Caribbean side (vs the Atlantic) and is a perfect beach! There is not a wave problem here at all. <BR> I did not go to Reduit Beach on St Lucia. I was at Sandal's and ,yes, even though it's on the Caribbean side, waves were a definite problem. I think Sandal's problem is partly due to the steep grade of the beach - it looks like they just trucked in a bunch of sand to make their beach. I don't know that for a fact, but it sure looks that way. <BR> I can tell you that St Lucia is definitely more expensive than Grenada - especially for getting around. Taxi's were a lot more expensive. <BR> A very fun way to see a lot of beautiful beaches - some very private - is to take the Windjammer Cruise. The Yankee Clipper sails every week out of Grenada for a 6 day cruise through the Grenadines and Grenada. Their website is www.windjammer.com check it out! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 02:32 PM
Carl

Thanks for all the info. Plz keep it coming!

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 05:53 PM
karen

hi Carl: We found Grand Anse Beach to be one of the lovliest in the Caribbean. The vendors were alittle bothersome and next time I'd like to wear a shirt with "I don"t need any more spices, thank you " on it! The harbour in St. Georges is one of the nicest to photograph. We went to Anse Couchon in St. Lucia and it was nice but definitely not as pretty as Grenada's main beach. There is good snorkling at Anse Chasetanet if you like to snorkle. The islands are very similar although St.Lucia has those glorious pitons. Grenada does have the best Rum Punch though (at Nutmeg). Have fun deciding! Karen

Old Feb 10th, 1999, 03:19 AM
Brian

I've been to Grenada several times and stayed in the Grande Anse area. The beach is white sand, and the water is clear and generally calm. The north end of the beach has the calmest water. Although there are some vendors on the beach, they really aren't a nuisance. They seem to be attracted mainly to the cruise ship passengers. If you need a change from Grande Anse, Morne Rouge beach is just to the south around the point. It also has calm, clear water, but is smaller and more low-key.