Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   First-timer to Grand Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/first-timer-to-grand-cayman-162548/)

Maureen Feb 19th, 2002 11:55 AM

First-timer to Grand Cayman

I would like to go to Grand Cayman in November -- it would be my first time. Where would be the best place to stay if I wanted to be on the beach and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping.<BR>Thanks<BR>

David Feb 19th, 2002 07:53 PM

Maureen,<BR><BR>The Westin is your best bet of ANY hotel in Grand Cayman. It has the best beach and the hotel is right on it. The hotel also has three very good restaurants. As far as shopping goes, what little there is on Grand Cayman, you'de have to go downtown for that, and there are no hotels near by with a decent beach. In my opinion you should rent a car, it makes things much easier.

Trish Feb 20th, 2002 08:34 AM

Just returned Saturday night from first trip to GC. Would suggest you do NOT stay at the Westin. Although the beach is nice, the hotel staff needs some customer service classes. There were many very nice looking hotels on seven mile beach. There are a number of restaurants on the other side of the road on Seven Mile Beach. Also, you can take the Omni buses for $2.00. Very reliable and run constantly from 6 am to 11 pm. We never rented a car. We did take a cab to the Grand Old House on Valentine's Day, but otherwise never used them.

Scott Feb 20th, 2002 08:42 AM

If you truly want the best value for your money, and the most comfortable accomodations, rent a condo!! Yes, some of the hotels are nice, but WAY overpriced. You can easily get a great condo for less than what you'll pay at the Westin or Hyatt, which seem to be the top rated hotels on the island. Try checking out the site: www.caymanvacations.com and compare prices for yourself. The further north you are on 7 mile beach, the better the beach is. When you visit the site I mentioned, click on the map, and stay near the bulk of the resorts if you want to be within walking distance of many restaurants.

Maureen Feb 20th, 2002 09:05 AM

Those are all great suggestions. Thanks

Molly Feb 20th, 2002 11:03 AM

Scott, question about your statement that the further north you are on 7 mile beach, the better the beach is. What do you mean by that, do you mean the beach is wider, sand is better, more shade, etc or what?

Beth Feb 20th, 2002 12:33 PM

The Westin is the best hotel with the best beach, butI agree with the condo. We stayed at The Coral Stone Club. It had daily maid service, a nice beach, and two small pool that are oceanfront. Last November when we stayed there only one pool was opened. A hurricane had done damage to it. It is probably fixed by now. It is well managed. All the condos are oceanfront and about 1800 square feet. The Avalon is also a good condo to stay at. The Coralstone Club is right in the middle of the two best resorts, The Westin and Hyatt. You can walk on the beach to both of them and a very good resturant called The Carribean Club. There is also a grocery store acrossed the street. We have been to Grand Cayman yearly for the past five years and we love it!

fgh Feb 20th, 2002 12:56 PM

I agree with the condo suggestion. We stayed at Colonial Club. It was very nice. A very large screened porch. We walked next door to the Hyatt to get beach drinks at the swim up beach bar. No-brainer. Plus All the water toy rentals were there. The little night club there, Bamboo is nice also.

vhu Feb 20th, 2002 05:43 PM

t

Scott Feb 21st, 2002 08:42 AM

Molly,<BR><BR>What I meant by the "further north the better", was that the south end of 7 Mile Beach is okay, but tends to have a more rocky entry into the water. As you head towards the Hyatt, and then onward north to the Westin, the beach gets wider, and the sand is near perfect. The only problem with the middle section of 7MB, is that it can be more crowded in front of the bigger hotels. As you move even further north, the area has a lot less hotel/condos, the beach is still near perfect, and It gets much more secluded.

vbn Feb 21st, 2002 01:44 PM

Yes, but you're far away from everything up north. It's not what it's cracked up to be. You have to drive to any shopping, restaurants, water toy rental scuba shop, etc., etc.

kristin Feb 21st, 2002 04:51 PM

I have been twice and recommend you stay on the 7 mile beach. Almost any hotel you choose will be beautiful. The Westin is very nice but a little more pricey than the others. The Hyatt is nice too. If you are looking for a fun place but cheaper stay at Treasure Island. We stayed there once and walked to everything. The staff was also really nice.<BR>

freewoman Feb 21st, 2002 06:40 PM

Have done both the condo and hotel thing in GC.<BR><BR>Have to agree that you can't beat the prices at Treasure Island. No, the beach is not nearly as wide or as pretty as the beach up north by Aqua Bay Club. It is rather rocky going into the water, but there is nice sand to lay in and the snorkeling there is great and not far from shore because of the coral.<BR><BR>The tradeoff is that up north you are quite a way from any restaurants or shopping and TI is right in the middle of good restaurants and good shopping. Also the staff at TI has been more than accommodating especially at times when I have asked for late checkout because of an evening flight home.<BR><BR>If you are trying to go the economy route and save on meals, TI also has a refrigerator in the rooms so you can go to the grocery store and do your own lunch thing with sandwiches and cold stuff. The only downside to TI as opposed to a condo is not as much room (but then I am not in the room that much anyway) and you don't have a stove.<BR><BR>I like GC so much, it wouldn't matter where I stayed as long as I was there!!

jkl Feb 22nd, 2002 02:29 PM

I agree, Ti is good.

shawn Feb 22nd, 2002 05:07 PM

Has anyone ever stayed at the Royal Reef Club (condo)on the Eastern side of the island? I hear it is very nice but somewhat secluded.

HOWARD Feb 22nd, 2002 05:28 PM

HAVE BEEN TO GC 5 TIMES.STRONGLY SUGGEST BEACHCOMBER CONDOS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF 7 MI BEACH. SUPERMARKET AND RESTAURANTS RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. TRY THE CHINESES RESTAURANT GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY.