Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

First time to St Thomas...where to go? what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

We are booked at Secret Harbour in St Thomas (thanks Virginia for the suggestion) for 6 nights starting Sept 19.

So now for the fun stuff....what to do and where to eat! What day trips would you suggest? Is a day in St John sufficient? Is it possible to go to bvi without a passport? If so, where would you suggest going? A friend suggested the baths and jost van dyke? Are ferries the easiest way to get around between the islands and do we take the rental car? What about a boat rental? Could we go out on our own or would it be better to take someone out with us? We really like doing outdoorsy things and would love to explore and walk some beaches, go snorkeling, maybe go scuba diving (if I haven't done it before can I take classes once I get there or do I need to do it before I leave), maybe some cute stores and places to stop and grab lunch.

Thanks again for all of the input on my last post about suggestions on where to stay. I feel like I am planning the first trip of many
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 03:14 AM

http://www.virtualtourist.com/.../Tr...St_Thomas.html

magenspoint.com my fav beach

Baths at Virgin Gorda

caneelbay.com St John

shop till u drop!

Have fun,
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM

no to bvi without passport.
i would only try to rent a boat if you are very very experienced with boats & ocean navigation.
plenty of charters available on power & sail boats.
re diving. take the main part of the course at home. i understand you can do it online now so look at the PADI web site. then do the open water test on st. thomas. i'd suggest you phone the secret harbour dive shop to make sure they do the testing. if not they will tell you who does.
yes ferries are the easiest way to travel to other islands. no you can't take your car unless going to st. john & then only if your rental company allows it. sorry i don't know which ones do.
there is limited shopping in red hook & several little places for lunch. major shopping in charlotte amalie - duty free!
magens is a gorgeous beach but no snorkeling.
you can snorkel at secret harbour. you can also go off the right hand side of the wyndham sugar bay beach.
i posted the following for another fodorite headed to usvi recently re dining & a charter trip i liked:

" high end very expensive meals at the ritz.
excellent food without the high high price at blue moon cafe (perfect beachside setting) located at secret harbour.
http://www.bluemooncafevi.com/blue_moon_menu/index.html
imho havana blue at the marriott is the best on island. gorgeous restaurant, great food. try to reserve at table at sunset.
click the dinner menu from this page
http://havanabluerestaurant.com/taste/
if you like italian try romano's on the road into coral world/coki beach
http://www.romanosrestaurant.com/menu.html
secret harbour has a fun beach bar too.
snorkeling at secret harbour is very very good.

if you can get a reservation on this trip i know you'll love it & it includes a stop at soggy dollar on jvd & the baths on virgin gorda. (i see that they've added a st.john snorkel trip which might be an excellent way to experience st.j since you've not been before) this is a fast boat & tons of fun!
http://newhorizonscharters.com/ "

if you want to do any breakfasts or lunches in your condo, you'll find a good grocery about 10 mins back towards town/airport. ask your taxi driver to point it out on the way to secret harbour. store is called Cost-U-Less, also there is a good deli style market in red hook. if you drink you'll find rum is cheaper than a gal of milk
cocktails on your deck are delightful with the lovely view.
hope you love secret harbour as much as i do!
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Ditto what Virginia said. I have only stayed on STT once but have gone over on the ferry many times. I agree with virginia, hands down, Havana Blue at The Marriott Morningstar for a special $$$ meal. I thought it was worth every cent! Frenchtown has many little restaurants. It is on the Charlotte Amalie Waterfront near the Seabourne Terminal and the BVI ferry. I really like Hook, Line and Sinker for a nice meal that won't break the bank. Also in Frenchtown a place called The Pie Whole for good pizza and a large beer selection. There is also a new Mexican restaurant there that my friends just tried. It is called something "Bien". I know that is vague, but if you are in little Frenchtown, you will find it. There is a GREAT deli at the Crown Bay Marina area!! There is a ferry that goes to Water Island from this area too.

I don't get into the duty free shopping, but there is a great straw market at the farther end of the Charlotte Amalie Waterfront on the opposite side of the street. You can find nice beach cover up/dresses there. Defintely try to go to St John for one day!!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmmm...we just arrived yesterday. Got settled in at Secret Harbour with our car rental. The forecast for the week was mixed rain and sun. Woke up today to rain and the entire week has now changed to rain. Granted it may change as the week goes on.....but any suggestions on what to do? We had planned doing mostly outdoors activities and being at the beach....figured we'd head to charlotte amalie to shop today. Any suggestions on rain friendly activities?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM

Aw, it's not going to rain ALL week! ;-)Looks like the low that went through last night is gone and Ophelia is going to go north. So you should be good to go! Get out there and have fun. (If it does rain, there is always the movie theater.)
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:32 PM

as long as it's not pouring you might go over to: coralworldvi.com
hope your weather clears up 8-)
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM

I agree with all of Virginia's suggestions! We loved our boat trip to the BVIs. The islands are just a magical place.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If it's not a total downpour with heavy winds I'd still take the ferry from Redhook to St. John. There is some great shopping close to the harbor and lunch & dinks at Morgan's Mango is always fun. No need to take your car if you are not going to drive around. This would be totally doable on a gray, misty day.

We loved our stay at Secret Harbour and went to St. John several times.

Just keep singing----"The sun will come out tomorrow!"