First Time to St Lucia and Staying at Jalousie

Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
jworth

First Time to St Lucia and Staying at Jalousie

Hello,

my husband and I are going on a much needed vacation to St Lucia in mid June and wanted to get some feedback from others who have stayed at Jalousie. The reviews that I read before booking were wonderful and since neither of us are true beach bums, we thought it looked like a great place to be able to do some other activites too.

We opted not to do the all inclusive at Jalousie, since neither of us are big drinkers, and I've heard mixed reviews about the food there. Can anyone recommend some other restaurants nearby that are good...and how long they take to get there? We'll be there for 8 days. Also, it looks as though the rooms all have refrigerators. Is there a nearby grocery store that we can maybe pcik up some thing for breakfast, so we dont have to eat 3 big meals a day? What's an average for these meals? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

Mar 24th, 2002, 11:35 AM
jodi

Hi
We just got back from Jalousie. We enjoyed it. You are wise not to do the all inclusive. I would definitely recommend Dasheene at the Ladera resort. It is about 10 minutes from Jalousie. -$30 by taxi roundtrip. This was by far the best food we had while we were there. Cost is about $100 for dinner with one drink a piece.Ask for table 1, 2 or 3 (best view) Food is very expensive and Jalousie is rather isolated from other areas , so you end up eating there more than you want. It is $40/couple for breakfast at Jalousie- buffet and not worth it. My husband and I brought nutrition bars, etc for breakfast from home. Lunch will be $20-40 /couple without drinks. Lunch there is again- okay- sandwiches and burgers. Dinner will average $100 per night for a couple.. that is anywhere at Hilton or Ladera or Anse Chastenet. Those are the only places nearby.

The food at Jalousie is fair- not horrible, but definitely not worth what they charge. Drinks are $3-5 a piece. Eat at the Pier on Monday for Italian night- very good. Bang is next door to the Hilton and has a Wednesday night show with dinner- we thought it was run down -but food okay and cheaper than the Hilton. You can drive into Castries for goceries(Julians) - there is also one near UVF airport. I would not recommend going into Soufrie we got harassed there in the grocery store. There is a refrig in the room so bring whatever you can in your bags to avoid buying stuff there. We were glad that we did.

There are activities at Jalouise each day if you are interested. We rented a car the last few days we were there. Went to Marigot Bay & Castries. Lots of poverty and animals tied up on the side of the road, etc. We preferred to stay on the resort- much cleaner. Jalouise is pretty quiet, although there were lots of kids with families there.

The best part about Jalousie is how beautiful the scenery is. Very romantic place and wonderful service. But you definitely pay for it so bring your wallets!!! Have a great time

Mar 25th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Kay

Hi

My husband and I spent our honeymoon on St. Lucia last year and loved it. We stayed at Ladera but we did eat dinner one night at The Pier and it was very nice. WE also went to The Bang on Wed. for their dinner/floor show. It was really funa nd the diiner was good.
We ate several time at Dasheene of course as the food and views are out of this world. We also rented a jeep and went to casteries and saw Pegion Island. You can read all the details in my trip report and see pictures at www.seashelltravel.com

Mar 25th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Lindy Beth

What a wonderful choice! My husband and I spent an awesome honeymoon in St. Lucia last July. We stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights and the Jalousie for 4 nights. We enjoyed the Jalousie a bit more due to it's location between the Pitons and the lush foliage. One negative - The tour desk requires a minimum number of people for each tour. My husband and I really wanted to try the Jungle Mountain Bike tour, but noone else was interested so we couldn't book it with them. We ended up booking the tour ourselves and took a taxi. We ended up saving some money doing it ourselves so it ended up working out a bit better. Dasheen is a must (awesome food, amazing presentation, truly romantic! You must go for the sunset!)- the BEST meal we had while in St. Lucia! Bang was probably the worst. We didn't go the night of the floor show (the Jalousie has it's own which is really good). The food at Bang was just OK and fairly expensive for what you get. When we were there stray animals were walking around our table and a member of the kitchen staff was sleeping on a bench nearby. The topper was desert...My husband ordered bananas flambe and the waitress brought the desert to the table, poured rum from a plastic cup over the dessert and lit it using a Zippo lighter! Tacky, but memorable! If you enjoy snorkeling, there is a marine preserve along side the beach. Guests from many of the other hotels pay for a tour to go there, but you are lucky since it is right there. We rented kyaks and did some exploring and that was fun. Nice part about the beach is that you won't be constantly nagged to buy something! There are water taxies parked on the beach trying to drum up business, but a polit no thank you is all you need to say. I do recommend taking a water taxi over to Anse Chastenet. We didn't eat there, but there is a great beach bar (our bike tour left from there).

Have a great trip!

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:42 PM
MRudd

You will love it. My husband and I spent six nights last August and we took the full american plan. That was a costly mistake, since we are not big drinkers. However, we are going again in June and will definitely take the modified american plan. $90/pp breakfast and dinner. You are on your own for lunch, but they have a very good fruit platter with a yogurt sauce that you can share, and can order a second plate to share also. Breakfasts are large so you can almost go from morning to dinner with a small snack.

There is the fridge in the room so you can stock up for late snacks and bring wine or liquor and have cocktails in the beautiful patio before going down to dinner. More pleasant and very inexpensive, since you BYOB.

Enjoy, rain won't bother and you'll love the people and the place.

Good luck!