Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Snorkeling gear purchase advice please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first time ever snorkeling when I go to SJ in July....I would like to purchase snorkeling gear in advance so that I don't have to buy or rent it when I am in SJ...plus it's an excuse to go back there next year (if I buy it!!) DO I need to go to a dive shop to buy it or can I buy snorkeling gear at a Sports Authority/REI/Galyans type place? Since my husband wears contacts, I know that a snug fit is the most important and probably only a dive shop will be able to help with proper fit???
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:55 AM

After arriving with a mask that leaked, and that was depriving me of snorkeling/diving enjoyment, I was fitted with a new mask from Low Key Watersports in Cruz Bay, St. John. They gauranteed that it would not leak and it did not.

I bought my fins from a dive shop at home. I wish that I had purchased them at Low Key. While my fins are good they are long and require a lot of power from my under-exercised legs. For me, shorter would have been better.

I suggest that you let the experts there fit you, and ask for a guarantee to give you satisfaction.

Low Key are excellent dive/snorkel operators. It would be good to go out with them on a trip to try out your new equiptment, and let them give you suggestions for the best way for you to put it on.

If you are staying at Caneel, my sister and her husband bought their masks there and were satisfied. They also asked for a non-leak guarantee.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:33 AM

Howler, if you've never been snorkeling before, I might hesitate to pay the premium price many dive shops command.

We've been snorkeling for years with equipment we bought at a sports store. We got good equipment, and its worked well for us.

You will without a doubt get better equipment from a dive shop, just as you will get better suits from a tailor. But just for snorkeling, you often do not need the level of equipment that diving requires. Since there aren't any serious water pressures involved, you can test the mask for leaks at home and return it if it doesn't measure up.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:10 AM
caribtraveler

Howlermonkey: I agree with Ken. We bought our snorkeling gear at Sports Authority and it works well for both of us. My husband wears contacts. I used to until I did the Lasik surgery. Anyway, no leaking.

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:33 AM
cdt

In my opinion, if you buy a mask without being able to try it on first, and it doesn't leak, you're lucky.

I bought one of the cheapest masks at a stateside "dive shop" and it really wasn't very expensive.

Fins are a bit easier, although sizing can be inconsistent, and you don't want your heel slipping out.

Snorkels fit everyone - but I'm glad I spent a few dollars extra for a "dry" one.

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:39 AM

If you are a COSTCO member they may have some of the US Diver sets left. We are happy with ours and the price was at least $35 less than the very same set at a full service sporting goods store just down the street.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice...I think I'll go with Low Key Watersports....Does anyone, by chance, have their #?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Diane makes good points about fit & function which should be taken into consideration when choosing. Just because you buy from a dive shop doesn't mean the equipment has to be super expensive. Many dive shops on STJ sell gear for reasonable prices $30-35 range for masks, etc. US Diver flippers are supposed to be excellent (I'd like to pick up a pair too)...Curt thanks for the Costco suggestion! Whether you buy at home or on island, just make sure the stuff fits (try it on) and make sure that the mask makes a good seal. Put the mask up to your face and inhale...does it stay in place? If it falls off or can be pulled off easily, it doesn't fit. Snorkles can't really be tried as easily, but a "dry" snorkle is worth a few bucks more IMO too. If you've never snorkled before, it might be worthwhile to rent the first time...just to make sure you like it before investing in equipment.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:32 AM

While I do not have Low Key's number, it can be obtained through USVI, St. John area code's information (i believe it is 340' Rates are the same as continental US rates. They may possibly have an 800 number. My purchase at Low Key was not exhorbitant and not much more than that of discount dive centers.

At the time I was a beginning snorkler/diver and my stateside purchased mask leaked and made my water attempts frustrating. All faces are not created equal. The difference with my new mask made my water experience pure bliss and much more fun.

In my view, with the expense of the trip, it is worth a few dollars more to get expert on site advice, and have a perfect snorkeling experience. For me, it was the difference between day and night.

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Another thought: Since Low Key is located next to shallow water, you may want to try out your mask there, and then practice in shallow water at one of St. John's other lovely beaches. On my first snorkeling trip, I found it very scary to find myself in 30 - 40 feet of water with no prior usage of the equiptment.

Should you decide to do a boat snorkeling trip, do not be embarrassed to ask for a floatation device. It can make your first trip less frightening and more enjoyable. The more practice you have, the more comfortable you will feel. Enjoying marine life in their natural habitat is an awesome experience.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM

I agree about buying a mask and snorkle to take with you, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the fins supplied by the snorkle crew. Personally, I have never had problems with them but maybe I have been lucky. I have had several leaky masks - doesn't bother me that much but it is annoying.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Cartera45, in most cases, especially in STJ you will be snorkling off the beach, not via a charter boat, so your equipment is self provided...
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Hi all...tpatricco, could I get a little more info on fitting the snorkeling mask? I have purchased a US Divers pro set from our local Meijers (kinda like Wal Mart)It ran about $30.00 for mask & snorkel. It seems to fit well, made of silicone, does have an odor that I hope will dissapate. The mask stays put as long as I inhale, but then falls off? Is that what you mean, or should it stay put without constantly inhaling? I have rented equipment from cruise ships before & really prefer to have my own, both for hygiene & time savings. Also is there a specific length that the snorkel should be, this one seems a little short & curves more like a "C" than a "J". I thank you all in advance for any further advice you may have.
Additionally, my husband wears glasses, & has not had much success with snorkeling. He does not want to invest in a prescription mask. I am wondering if anyone has ever used a snorkeling float with the snorkel mask built in?? He wants to give one a try, I found them from a snorkle/dive supplier on the internet? We will have to carry it around will navagating the islands. Are these worth it?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Havi, the inhale method is just to keep the mask on your face without strap just as long as you can hold your breath. If the mask stays on your face the seal is good. If it falls off right away then the seal is not good, as it is letting air in / out somewhere. I think snorkle shape & length is mostly a matter of preference, although it seems like a longer snorkle might be better in choppy water. I snorkle with contact lenses without any problems. My husband, wears glasses normally, but his vision isn't bad enough to warrant a prescription mask. I guess things are just a little fuzzy for him. The float-mask combo is only worth the trouble if it's the only way he won't miss out on the action below the water's surface.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Thanks so much tpatricco, really appreciate your info & have enjoyed reading your other posts!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:25 PM

I had a silicone mask and was told by the dive master not to let it come in contact with rubber because it would cause it to turn yellow. This may be an old wive's tale. Another nice thing about having your own mask is that you can be more comfortable spitting in it.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Your welcome Havi, glad to help! Trish