Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   First time to Caribbean Islands. Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/first-time-to-caribbean-islands-help-73181/)

Dianna May 23rd, 2000 08:51 AM

First time to Caribbean Islands. Help

Want to travel with my husband to the Caribbean. Please help, have done so much research I'm now confused as to which one we should go to first.

Sharon May 23rd, 2000 02:10 PM

Hi Dianna. I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific in what you're looking for: lots to do (Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Martin), quiet and laid back (BVI, St. John, Anguilla), more upscale (St. Barts, Caymans, Anguilla)? If you can let us know we'll try to help since the Islands are really quite different.

Mare May 23rd, 2000 07:55 PM

It is a daunting experience isn't it! We first went with another couple and did alot of research! Started with St Thomas--would NOT go back-next was Cancun-lots of fun-then a private villa north of Puerto Vallarta-lots of fun also! We also went places on our own! E-mail if you need more info!

Dianna May 24th, 2000 02:36 AM

Sharon & Mare - thanks for responding, relized I should have been more specific after I sent it. Looking for an island that is somewhat quiet, but one that would offer sights to see during the day, not just all laying on the beach, love good foods, and do like to bar hop. Accommodations are important, clean, attractive, etc. Hope this helps and hope to hear from you again.

Bill May 24th, 2000 03:45 AM

<BR>Hi D, We stay at Timothy Beach Resort in St. Kitts. It is the only resort on the caribbean beach.Call them direct and use an agent for airfare. (869)465-8597 www.timothybeachresort.com

Karen May 24th, 2000 03:54 AM

Oh my! Still so many choices!!! Are you interestest in "resorts" or are willing to do the "self-catering" with villas/condos? Do you want "high end" islands or high end resorts (the life and luxury of the "rich and famous") or more moderate accomodations? Do you prefer an all-inclusive option as some islands are less ameniable to "traveling about" or the location makes it hard to do. I might look at airlines too ... see which is easiest to get to from your home airport ... I just hate wasting valuable beach time in airports! Some people prefer cruising as it gives you just a taste of several islands and helps with future planning or they give a long hard look at St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands as it offers many great attractions and hotels/resorts in many price ranges with the option of easy exploration of other islands - St. John and the BVI's. The Mexican Caribb offers some undeveloped areas south of Cancun (I dislike Cancun intensely with the crowds and Americanized hi-rises but it fits the bill for so many and is do-able in the budget!) with great exploring and not that busy yet ... they are just starting to push the "Mayan Riviera." For great beaches, I would defiantely consider Anguilla; for food, the French side of St. Martin or Anguilla ... but the "partying" would probably be better on St. Martin. The snorkling is great in the BVI's and Tortola is a great "jeep about" destination but the beaches ... well, you travel to the other smaller BVI's for that! Aruba is a destination that some prefer for the gambling and activities but again you will find an "Americanized" island. Some prefer the "quaintness" and undeveloped Caribb-style wonderful and others prefer to stay where many of the guests are not American. Each island is unique and has its own personality ... but I have yet to find the ideal spot for champagne tastes on a beer budget - and I think that would be perfect!!! This might be a good time to check with a knowledgable travel agent who is familiar with the Caribb - they can be helpful! Good luck with your search and let us know how it all works out!!!!