Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   First time in the Bahamas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/first-time-in-the-bahamas-368177/)

mike_b12 May 27th, 2008 09:46 AM

First time in the Bahamas

Plan on going to the Bahamas next May for the first time. Will be staying at the Shereton. Any tips on the best snorkel spots and other things to do besides enjoying the beach. Places to eat? We plan on six nights there.
Thanks

Reisender May 27th, 2008 09:49 AM

Mike which island?

mike_b12 May 28th, 2008 09:49 AM

Grand Bahama Island

caribqueen May 28th, 2008 02:37 PM

There is a marketplace right across the street from the Sheraton...lots of little places to eat, bars and shopping. They have a really great ice cream parlor too. Right next to the marketplace is a little daytrip/daysail place...can't remember the name of it, but if you ask anyone, they can point you in the direction. They take you out for sailing and snorkeling.

In the middle of the marketplace is a "stage" where they have bands and such at nightime.

mike_b12 May 28th, 2008 04:04 PM

Thanks for the information.

massachusettsmama May 30th, 2008 05:55 AM

Caribqueen -- We are going to GBI in July...staying at Pelican Bay for 7 nights. Thanks for the tip about the ice cream parlor...my sons will be happy about that! What are the good and reasonably priced places to eat? Also, can you tell me anything about the jeep tour on the island? We did one of these in Aruba and had a blast! Any info about Pelican Bay to share?

caribqueen May 30th, 2008 12:04 PM

I'm not exactly sure where Pelican Bay is in relation to the Sheraton...but I have heard good things about it. Most of the little places in the marketplace are reasonable, for the islands. It seems I also remember there was a Subway and a Dominoes there as well, but we didn't go there. My 9 year old made a remark yesterday about remembering how good the ice cream was there "at that place".

Sorry, don't know anything about jeep tours...

Reisender May 30th, 2008 12:36 PM

Pelican Bay is directly across the street from the Sheraton/Weston complex and butts up against the MarketPlace. It is a very nice hotel. It has full access to the beach at the Sheraton/Westin, but not to the beach chairs etc that belong to the Sheraton/Westin. At one time you could get a pool pass from Pelican Bay that allowed full access to the pools at Sheraton/Westin but I think that may not exist anymore.

mike_b12 May 30th, 2008 04:07 PM

How is the beach by the Westin?
Are there better beaches on the island?

donnae_b Jun 1st, 2008 07:42 PM

TTT

TrollSilentTrollDeep Jun 2nd, 2008 06:40 AM

Just be careful, Grand Bahama can be a little seedy sometimes. The police aren't much help either.

massachusettsmama Jun 3rd, 2008 07:56 AM

Seedy? In what way? Do others agree?

TrollSilentTrollDeep Jun 3rd, 2008 02:27 PM

I'm not sure if others would agree. We were approached on a couple of occasions (and were traveling with local friends) and one of our younger travel mates was repeatedly propositioned in Lucaya and Freeport. Didn't have any problems in West End, but we were a little put off. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

mike_b12 Jun 6th, 2008 04:06 PM

Anything on the best beaches in GBI?
Thanks

intpresspix Jun 18th, 2008 11:46 AM

From Nassau, a grand day out (9 a.m to 5 PM aboard 2000 HP Powerboat Adventures (.com) sweeps you to an exotic private island hideaway. Sample Iguana feeding, then on to a romantic cay feeding sting rays and sharks! Great snorkeling, fab beaches. Munch on appetizers before BBQ dinner; fresh catch of the day & tasty steaks.. Open bar - included - in the $176-$190 fee. Great crew for a fun-filled island experience. Dining? Cricket Club, Cafe Mattise, British Colonial. Ride local buses for $1 each way, take an Old Nassau horse-drawn surrey ride ($10.00 p.p.) Visit the Pirate Museum, Queen's Staircase. Stuarts Cove (of Bond movie fame) offer best snorkeling, as does Flying Cloud catamaran to Love Island.
JL