First Family Vacation in Caribbean - Need Ideas

Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

First Family Vacation in Caribbean - Need Ideas

Hi! My hubby and I would love to go to Turks & Caicos. We have heard a lot about it and all good. We will be traveling with a toddler less than 2 yrs. of age. My hubby has been the difficult one as he wants a resort with beach right out the door plus a trail; walking, nature etc. too. Does something like this exist there? Or does it exist in the Caribbean. How much walking can we do with a 2 yr. old who runs but loves mommy carrying him just because. I know he will be almost 2 so how much can he remember? I would appreciate all the advice.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:42 PM

provo is my favorite island. it is arid and does not have hiking. grace bay beach is 11 miles long so great for walking. almost all provo resorts face directly on the the beach. many are condo style rooms but with nice grounds, pools and restaurant/bar area. some have spas. not knowing your budget you might look at royal west indies or the sands. if you can afford more there are plenty of options. very good dining options. excellent diving, good snorkeling. very small island.

you might also consider grand cayman. same arid look with beautiful seven mile beach (also nice to walk). busier than provo. good diving & snorkeling. more shopping options. larger island. has botanical gardens to walk and mastic trail for hike - it's a trail cut through the interior of the island and is all natural plants. 2 yr old would be good at botanical garden as it has nice wide walkways. mastic is close and hot so take lots of water with you and hats. sneakers would be better than sandals.
good condos are villas of the galleon or plantana. lots more and good hotels all directly on seven mile.

when your son is older you might like st. john - half the island is national park with all sorts of good hiking. tons of gorgeous beaches but few resorts or beachfront options.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM

Look at www.thesomerset.com perfect pool for 2 year old, zero entry, great walking on Grace bay , lots of dining choices nearby..love it!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM

Our first Caribbean vacation was St. John (Caneel Bay) & it was an awesome experience for snorkeling, hiking and just appreicating all that those wonderful islands have to offer. We have also gone to Grand Cayman & loved that as well although completely different look to the island itself. I'm dying to go to Provo and have heard great things about that as well. Honestly don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose!
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM

our first was curacao & aruba , loved curacao .....a lot of culture, not very impressed with jamaica but FDR Pebbles & just FDR does have a nanny program included that may be great with ur child as I hear.