Reload this Page >

Fire in Nassau- try the out islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 03:13 AM
tourist

To all upcoming vacationers to Nassau, there was a serious accident in Nassau yesterday that will have a crippling effect on tourism in the Downtown Bay street area. The entire strawmarket area and 6 bulidings near the shopping district burned down yesterday.Early reports say the damage is in the millions. Fortunatley, the BC hilton was not affected. I strongly recommend travel to family islands(Eleuthera, Freeport, Abaco) via Bahamasair or the fastferry to enjoy the Bahamas at this time. You can log on to www.eleu.net or www.bahamasferries.com for more options.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:58 AM
xxxx

That's a rather shallow way of looking at this, isn't it? "The straw market burned down, so go to Eleuthera." <BR> <BR>Hey, Nassau and its people have always been there for me when I needed them, so I'll be there for them. I will go as planned, thank you very much.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:24 AM
xxxx

There's an article about this fire on the CNN website. Click on 'World' and you'll find it there. <BR> <BR>A tragedy for the people of Nassau and the Straw Market to be sure, and although some other things in the immediate area were lost this hardly qualifies as something that will have a "crippling effect" on tourism.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 02:49 PM
tweedy

The fire has been declared a National Disaster, by the Government, but it will not affect tourism all that much. There will be straw markets up up very quickly, you watch and see, and the government is committed to rebuilding as quickly as possible, that is island time asap, of course, lol. <BR> <BR>Nassau is still a wonderful vacation spot and the strawmarket will be back up and running very quickly. <BR> <BR>Wonder what happened to my favorite lunch spot the Junkanoo Cafe, if you hear please let me know. <BR> <BR>There were no deaths as previously reported, but a few injuries. The full story can be found today in the Nassau Guardian at www.thenassauguardian.com <BR> <BR>Goombay to you all

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Tourist

FYI, if you are visiting Nassau in the next few weeks, it will not be a delightful experience in that all areas of Tourism have been affected.Locals cannot get to work on time as well. Cruise ships have been redirected, traffic is a real disaster. It's just not a good time to visit. It was not meatnt to be a shallow remark but as another option to get away from the area until peace and chaos is restored. FYI another fire was created today in the capital and it is said to be arson. Just be careful over there!!!!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Danny

Hi Tweedy, <BR> If you see this and are interested, check out www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/id40.htm <BR> <BR>Danny

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Robert

Cruise ships redirected...allright!!! Now I can go to Nassau and have the population cut in half of tourists. My gad, walk over to the BC and venture out to the reefs with their dive ops and go snorkeling. <BR>Take the ferry boat over to Paradise Island, and visit Potter's Cay to see the shipments of ocean and land bounties coming in. Rent a car a tour all of New Providence. I'll bet there will be a straw market set up somewhere to purchase the neat wood products and baskets. Robert

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Robert

Oh,I forgot: SEPTEMBER 27 - 29 <BR>7TH ANNUAL BAHAMAS ATLANTIS SUPERBOAT CHALLENGE <BR>[Nassau/Paradise Island] <BR>A major international power boat race, attracting some of the worldıs <BR>fastest racing craft to the beautiful waters off Nassau/Paradise Island. <BR>Three days of festive events, culminating in a breath-taking power boat race <BR>on the final day. Location: Potterıs Cay, Nassau. For information, contact <BR>the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, tel. (242) 302-2006; for reservations & <BR>information, call (800) 722-7466 in the US. <BR> <BR>Robert <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:28 PM
tweedy

HI DANNY, long time no see. How is the gang doing? Has Steve gotten the Matrix out this summer and how is his back? <BR> <BR>Please say hi to everyone for me. IF you get a chance, I have a new website www.oneworldcandle.com Let me know what you think. <BR> <BR>Take care my friend. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Danny

Tweedy, <BR> Steve is permanently wheelchair bound. Back never recovered. He's in the process of getting her up and running so he can sail again from the chair. Sad news. Got to go check your site. Later. <BR> <BR>Danny

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Danny

Hey Tweedy! Where's all the new candles? Same one I saw the last time. I thought you'd have a billion of them by now. <BR> <BR>Danny

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 08:19 PM
tweedy

Sorry Danny thought I gave you the right site. There are 4 candles comming out and the site is www.oneworldcandle.com/designs.html Take a look and let me know what you think of my designs. I will email you over the weekend. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Danny

Well, that's more like it. Keep up the good work. Those are great thoughts behind the designs. <BR> <BR>Danny

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 06:38 AM
tourist

To Robert,you should feel like an ass now that the same type of disaster has affected Manhattan and D.C. Or will you still tell people that tourism wont be disrupted in these areas as well!!!???

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:59 AM
brightone

The tourist has a good point! No one wants to go on vacation where there is a lot of disruption and disaster around. They want peace and relaxation while trying to enjoy a few good days of rest. I'd definitely try to go elsewhere at this point too.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Danny

To compare the murder of thousands of people in a barbaric act of terrorism to a fire that burned down a straw market in Nassau is crass, insulting to the intelligence of people in general, and to Bahamians who have shown a great deal of support to the United States of America during a time when many of us want nothing more than to help the people victimized by these bastards. We'll deal with them as a nation later. Get a perspective on things before you post such trash again. <BR> <BR>Danny

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 12:34 PM
tourist

Well Danny, all I know is that yes it was tragic what happened in the US. But the economy in the Bahamas is also hurting as well from their own misfortune from last weeks fire in Downtown Nassau. They are not meant to be compared by devastation, but the idiot(Robert) who suggested that tourism wouldn't be affected in Nassau after the tragic incident they endured was just as bad. And as for yourself, you should get a perspective on things and think twice before posting messages about candles on a travel message board which have nothing to do with this topic.Looks like an advertiement more than a comment!!!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Danny

You ought to go take a look at the candles. They are expressions of peace.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Carlie

Is this whole fire/arson disaster one of terrorism? Why would a fire be intentionally set? Are their feuds going on between gov't? I'm traveling to Nassau in October and a bit concerned. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help in advance.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Daniel Williams

Carlie-- <BR> <BR>It was a disgruntled man who started the fire for personal reasons; I would not call it an act of terrorism,as it was committed by an individual. Also, to my knowledge, there are no major terrorist organizations that target the Bahamian government. <BR> <BR>The Bahamas are not what I would call an unstable country; on the contrary, the FMN government is quite popular and democracy seems firmly entrenched. Enjoy Nassau...I know I did. <BR> <BR>DAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -