Search

Nevis OR St. John??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis OR St. John??

I was just about ready to make our honeymoon reservations for Estate Lindholm in St. John when I came across information on the plantation inns in Nevis. This kind of atmosphere is right up our alley....we want things to explore during the day, but good dining options for evening. It also seems like Nevis might have more beach bar activity than St. John??

Will we be missing out on the snorkeling part of the trip if we go to Nevis?

Any comparisons??

Thanks so much!!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I've been to both, and the two islands are often compared to one another. We honeymooned on Nevis and had a wonderful time at the Nisbet Plantation. We took a trip to the Botanic Gardens, saw monkeys and forests at Golden Rock, went on a catamaran trip to St. Kitts, hung out at the 4 Seasons/Sunshines. It's a beautiful quiet, island. Nisbet has great food, and we were very happy being on their dining plan (full breakfast, afternoon tea, and four-course dinner).

St. John has better beaches and snorkeling, hands down. I think there are also better day trip options there: Virgin Gorda (my favorite island) and the Baths, Tortola, Jost van Dyke and the Soggy Dollar Bar (talk about great beach bars...). We went to Nevis because my wife grew up on St. thomas and wanted to go somewhere new.

The snorkelling on the cat trip to St. Kitts wasn't bad -- if you want to spend a lot of time snorkeling, however, I wouldn't go to Nevis.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Jimmie has pretty much nailed down the difference very well. If I can add my two cents (I've been to both). Both islands have totally different feels. Nevis offers a traditional Caribbean experience with lots of history, hiking and easy living. St. John is more user-friendly, offers more variety in terms of restaurants, beaches and snorkelling. Personally, for a honeymoon I would opt for Nevis because it is very relaxing and the plantation inns are very enjoyable.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Bosco and Jimmie have it right. Nevis is one of my favorite destinations but if snorkeling is an important aspect to your vacation plans you'll be disappointed. There's hardly any off-beach snorkeling to speak of on Nevis and the snorkel site visited during the cat trip is only so-so and it's the best in the area (FYI - you'll see everything there is to see in 30 to 45 minutes - which is about how long the boat stays there).

Other than that, you'll find everything else you are seeking.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jimmie and bosoco....I appreciate the advice.

Was looking into the Golden Rock Plantation...seems to have the feel that we like. I think I would certainly enjoy a trip here.

I just got off the phone with someone who lived in St. John for a year and she couldn't say enough good things about it. I think that it is probably our best bet for a good introduction to the Caribbean.

Thanks again for the advice!!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM

It's tough to go wrong with St. John. If you go, do try to take that day trip to Jost -- if you like beach bars, you will have a blast at one of the several bars they have there.

On your other question about EL, if you can manage it, a balcony with a decent view might be worth the extra $300. It would be fun (and romantic) to have a drink on your balcony at the end of the day or morning coffee with a nice view. Probably better breezes than the garden rooms, too.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM

http://www.b-v-i.com/JostVanDyke/default.htm If you end up on St John, I second the recommendation for a day trip to Jost Van Dyke. White Bay is probably our favorite beach and there are a few great beach bars. Soggy Dollar, Seddy's One Love and Ivan's Honor Bar. Check out the above web site for more info. Another fun day trip is New Horizons II, which is a power boat trip and a great intro to the BVI's.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Ditto what Brendandg said about Jost. Having spent a lot of time in the VI's , we are thinking of our next destination for a short trip and DH is thinking STKitt's (I am thinking Negril) Can anyone describe the difference between Nevis and st kitt;s??
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 05:32 AM

The biggest difference between St. Kitts and Nevis is the size, both population (SKB about 40,000 vs. Nevis about 11,000) and area (68 Sq. Mi. for SKB vs. 36 Sq. Mi. for Nevis). Nevis is a bit more lush. The majority of St. Kitts' beaches are concentrated on it's southern penninsula with about half facing the Atlantic (rougher water) while the majority of Nevis' beaches are on the western (Caribbean) and northern (Atlantic) sides of the island. There's more shopping (some duty free) on St. Kitts mainly due to the fact that their are more tourists from both cruise ships and because there are 2 to 3 times as many hotel rooms on St. Kitts vs. Nevis. That's not to imply that St. Kitts is overrun with tourists (which it is not) but rather there are more than on Nevis. Both islands are relativly quiet and laid back.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Live on St. Kitts: vacation on Nevis. You can enjoy both. They are one Federation. Ferry service between each is often and good and takes about 40 minutes.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Nevisian

I'd say "Vacation on Nevis - visit St Kitts"

We took a day trip last week and while I'm glad I went (another island to check off on my list) I certainly wouldn't go back.

I can't quite put my finger on it.... but a day was long enough for us.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM

alya, I'm right there with you! Did I think st. Kitts a pretty island? You bet! Did I enjoy myself there last year when I visited? Yup! Would I choose to go back? Not so much. No Kittitian siren call for me, but Nevis keeps tugging at me for a return visit. Oh, well!