Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Fine Dining in Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/fine-dining-in-bermuda-935752/)

Odin May 19th, 2012 09:55 AM

Fine Dining in Bermuda

Am looking for a splurge place in Bermuda, have seen previous posts and recommendations for Tucker's Point, Fourways Inn etc but cannot tell from their websites if it is indoor dining - would prefer alfresco if possible to enjoy the outdoors. Are there any such places, have seen the Beach Club at Tucker's Point which looks like our kind of place, although might not be fine dining that doesn't matter. It's for a special meal, would like to try Bermudian specialities. Would like to hear recommendations, thank you.

cmcfong May 19th, 2012 10:31 AM

The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches do dinner on the beach. Fourways occasionally has outdoor seating, call and ask for Alex, tell him what you want and my guess is he will do what he can to accommodate you. I have not tried dinner at Tucker's Point, but friends who have raved. Although I don't know of any outdoor seating (help me here, txgirlinbda) at Ascot's it is certainly an excellent choice for dinner.

Have a good trip.

txgirlinbda May 19th, 2012 12:32 PM

Ascot's does have a lovely patio and I am sure Angelo would accomodate a request to dine outside. It was our go-to, 'splurge' special-occasion restaurant for years - I miss it! The Reefs on their private beach is another nice idea. I enjoyed Tucker's Point, but it was winter and I have no recollection of whether outdoor dining was available. The beach club there is nice, but the food is very casual. Have a good trip!

Carib_Ian May 22nd, 2012 01:12 PM

Ocean Club at the Fairmont Southhampton is very good and is outdoors.

Odin Jun 4th, 2012 05:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions; judging by the weather forecast, indoor seating might be better! Looks very rainy at the moment.

emcash Jun 18th, 2012 05:35 PM

I dont recall tuckers point having outdoor for their fine dining. I would recommend the reefs out on the beach. That was truly a special experience. Not sure if you left already,but i always seems to say rain there and it always seems to be really nice!

Odin Jun 18th, 2012 11:23 PM

I'm back from Bermuda and yes we dined at Reefs a couple of times. Tuckers Point Beach Club is for members & their guests only. Cambridge Beaches Breezes restaurant is oceanfront but was closed for bad weather when we wanted to go. We only had one day of it out of 7 that was rain & high winds, so were lucky as previous weeks the weather was constant rain.

cmcfong Jun 19th, 2012 02:53 AM

Welcome home. I hope you had a wonderful trip. Did you like the Reefs? Did you try any other restaurants you enjoyed?

Odin Jun 19th, 2012 11:16 AM

We had a lovely time. I had been before some 16 years ago and stayed at Ariel Sands and the Sonesta, both of which are closed (Sonesta is demolished). We liked Reefs very much, we ate at all sorts of places from expensive to cheap (well Bermuda cheap) eg Elbow Beach Hotel, Barracuda Grill (very good), Pompano (breathtaking view from their restaurants, the sea is like a lagoon), Traditions (that wasn't good), various pubs (both Swizzle Inns for instance), Tio Pepe to name a few. Ran out of time to try Cafe Cairo. We rented a scooter (yes it is dangerous & yes it was scarey at times) and clocked up 300+km, sadly a tourist was killed in a scooter accident last week on the island, the second this year apparently. Did some scuba dives as well with the guys at Somerset (Hermes, Virgina Merchant). Stayed near Evans Bay, right by an old railway station, bit rough round the edges but the location was great and within walking distance of West Whale Beach which was stunning!
Bermuda really has everything, beautiful beaches and is such a pretty pretty island.

cmcfong Jun 19th, 2012 12:49 PM

Thanks so much. Nothing like hearing about Bermuda when I can't be in Bermuda!