Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Finding a Relaxing Resort (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/finding-a-relaxing-resort-1009689/)

mrabear13 Mar 27th, 2014 09:37 AM

Finding a Relaxing Resort

My wife and I have a dream of spending a week at a luxurious beach resort where we can feel totally removed from the humdrum of modern life for a while. Maybe if I describe our dream, someone will be able to recommend a place?

Here are some things that we would love:

- no clocks, no TV, no need for shoes
- privacy, seclusion (private bungalow)
- good food available at any time of day (since we won't have clocks to make mealtimes)
- swinging in a hammock on our private porch, with a view of the sea
- high quality furnishings and high level of customer service

We are not looking for lots of activities and tours, we just want to have great scenery, sleep when we feel like it, read a lot, eat good food, and go for some walks on the beach. Of course we might go looking for some activities, but I am not worried about having TONS of options in that category.

I have found places like this in the south pacific and the indian ocean, but that is a lot of flying and travel expense when there are tropical islands etc right here in my own hemisphere. Even on this side of the planet, it would be great to not take two jets, one biplane, a ferry and a canoe to get to this place. We don't need to be the only people within 1000 miles.

We don't have 10k to spend on 5 nights, so "luxury" is a term I use broadly. I am assuming that if a place offers private secluded bungalows on the beach, it will be plenty fancy enough. We just don't want to be roughing it in an old shack, have an uncomfortable bed, or worry about the cleanliness of the food.

Bottom line is beautiful tropical scenery and uncompromised peace and relaxation. If you know of a place like this let me know!

blamona Mar 27th, 2014 10:16 AM

What is your actual budget? Makes a difference (as we know 10k means too much, but what's right?)

What time of year, how many nights?

mrabear13 Mar 27th, 2014 10:38 AM

The trip would ideally be in February. I was hoping for flights from the US to this place to be about $600/person and to stay 5 nights for around $500/night including meals. Very rough numbers here.

Don't let the details of the budget hold you back - I would rather find out about the perfect tropical retreat that costs too much than continue assuming these sorts of elegant places don't even exist.

Bassguy66 Mar 27th, 2014 11:31 AM

I would look at Caneel Bay St John. I think it hits what you are looking for.

http://www.caneelbay.com/default.html

RoamsAround Mar 27th, 2014 11:40 AM

Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorda, BVI's
Peter Island Resort, Peter Island, BVI's
Petit St. Vincent Resort, Petit St. Vincent (Grenadines)
Palm Island Resort, Palm Island (Grenadines)
Anse Chastenet or Ladera, St. Lucia
Guana Island, BVI's
Cayo Espanto, Belize

RoamsAround Mar 27th, 2014 01:49 PM

The kind of place you are seeking DOES EXIST in the Caribbean but they come a a price that may leave you somewhat discouraged.

Most of the places I mentioned above are going to be out of your $500/night price range. February is peak season in the Caribbean (you'll be encountering one of the highest room rates of the year). Quite frankly your budget of $500/night (including meals) isn't going to buy you a great deal of "luxury" but rather you are looking a few steps down on the luxury ladder - think 3-star or possibly a lower tier 4-star resort - certainly not upper 4-star or 5-star luxury.

Here's a little reality check - The more "seclusion" you seek the higher the price becomes. Those charming secluded little "luxury" bungalows can run upwards of $1,000+/night NOT INCLUDING MEALS. You mentioned places in the South Pacific - have you actually checked prices at those resort? The vast majority of the ones I've looked at are well over $500/night.

You also indicated a desire to limit your airfare to $600/person but you didn't say where in the US you are flying from. If you live in the mid-west or east coast that price range might get you to most of the larger islands which tend to have the larger resorts not the secluded ones you are seeking.

So, the bottom line is you are either going to have to pony up more for accommodations and food or give up some on the level of luxury and seclusion. It's your choice!

Good luck!

mrabear13 Mar 28th, 2014 06:54 AM

Thanks everybody! The places you suggest look perfect, but I can tell you are also right about my budget being way too low for them.

So let's say I just can't bring myself to ever pay that much for a vacation, but still want to try to get something along the lines of quiet, natural, and relaxing. Any suggestions for the next best thing? Any low-key, scenic, beach resorts that are more moderately priced?

I don't need a 5 star private island, but I still want to get as far as possible from staying on the 16th floor of a hotel tower, watching people ski-doo all over my beach view, and passing tacky night clubs when I go for a walk.

Bassguy66 Mar 28th, 2014 07:57 AM

There are private villas located all over St John that might be more reasonable. Google "villa rental St John" and you'll find a ton of them. Most are not on the beach, and you rent a jeep for the week, and explore the plethora of beach choices around the island.

Another option if you really want to be on the beach, is the northern end of Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. There are a ton of beautiful condos right on the beach, and the northern stretch of 7MB is definitely more quiet than the middle and southern ends. Food options are some of the best in the Caribbean.

RoamsAround Mar 28th, 2014 09:25 AM

There are nice beachfront resorts at or close to your price range on just about every island BUT you'll have to resign yourself to the fact you'll have to make some concessions as to the luxury and seclusion. One thing in your favor, is there aren't a lot of high rise hotels on most islands so you still have a lot of options open to you.

For instance there are plenty of "condo resorts" on Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) that are only 2 or 3 stories so you have no worries about being on the "16th floor" and ALL are located on a 12 mile long stretch of the whitest sand beach you'll find anywhere in the Caribbean. Look at Ocean Club or Ocean Club West, Regent Palm, Point Grace or Somerset.

Same with Grand Cayman - there are hundreds of rental condos on the island that are steps away from quiet stretches of beach.

You need to do some basic research. If I were you, I'd first concentrate on choosing an island, then look for accommodations that are in your price range.

sharona Mar 28th, 2014 01:41 PM

Take a look at Anguilla. I don't know where you're coming from so it's hard to say if it's an easy trip for you but the easiest thing to do is to fly into St. Martin (SXM) and then take the public ferry over to Anguilla. It's about a 20-25 minute ferry ride. Anguilla is very casual and low-key and while it can be an expensive destination it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of small hotels, guest houses and inns to choose from that won't break the bank and you can also find very good food at reasonable cost. Look at the official web site and click on accommodations.

The beaches are gorgeous and the people are friendly. There's not a high rise anywhere on the island. Even in high season the beaches aren't crowded.

http://ivisitanguilla.com

I know two couples who have stayed here and enjoyed it very much. It's a short walk to a very good beach:

http://www.anacaonahotel.com

Based on what you say you're looking for I think Anguilla is a better choice for you than Turks & Caicos and Grand Cayman.

blamona Mar 29th, 2014 05:03 AM

I think you just need a villa, which almost every island has one.

They'll all have clocks and tvs, but doesn't mean you have to use them

St John is great with villas, Turks and Caicos has tons too. You'll find every island has them. But here's the catch:

Beachfront is going to be more than your budget. Beachfront properties on these islands are quite expensive, prices of villa rentals will reflect this.

So compromise a block or 2 back (no views on flat islands though such as Anguilla, Turks, caymans)

So I think St. John might be closest.

Check out vrbo.com

amer_can Mar 29th, 2014 06:27 PM

With the $ you mentioned in original postings you should have no trouble finding a great place on 7MB in Cayman. Try villas of the Galleon, Plantana,Sunset(further out on West Bay Road.)Christopher Columbus..Don't know about them all with regards to Ivan damage but V of G was conpletely dedecorated and updated..Lovely!!! Skip the Ritz..mega size, mega ego and mega price..

mnag Mar 29th, 2014 10:08 PM

Would you consider renting a villa on a beach and driving to restaurants? Eleuthera in the bahama out islands has many reasonably priced villas on bleaches that are certainly not over run by tourists. Otherwise grand cayman or turks would be a great choice.

diann24 Mar 31st, 2014 05:32 AM

https://www.locogringo.com/mexico/ac...galow-rentals/

I am not sure if you considered Mexico, it seems they have these along the Maya Riviera. I would check into this area as the prices may be more affordable.